Your fav. MRR. ever!

I forgot another goody, not yet mentioned...

La Mesa Model Railroad Club's Tehachapi layout.

I've been privileged to run on both the Siskiyou Line and the Bear Creek & South Jackson, and one surprising thing about both railroads is this - they are testaments to the photography skills of their owners.

By this I mean that I don't think either of them has more than 20-30% of the layout scenicked (if that much), although I believe Charlie is ahead on the parts of the layout that he's built (he has a huge penninsula planned but not built yet) - they're excellent railroads to operate on, btw, no doubt about that - but all the incredible photos you may have seen are from a fairly limited number of locations on the layouts, or in Charlie's case, frequently from a module that he hauls out into the sunlight for natural sunlight and backdrop shots.

It can be a bit surprising to walk in to either of them and realize how much of the layout is still vermiculite goop desert or plywood pacific.

The best part of the layouts is that when you get operating on either of them... you generally don't care. Both of them suck you into their reality.

And that makes them both worthy of being a favorite layout.

Back