Yet another newbie

Because I want to stay married? :rolleyes:

More seriously, because 3x6 I can put in the corner, and while it's not easy, I'm tall enough to reach over 3 feet. 4x8 will not fit into the space I have available for it, and will need more space as it will need clearance on all sides to walk around it. Even 3x6 is tough, the section of the wall that I can put this to is exactly 6'.

That's a valid reason, I guess. :eek:

OK...I was just wondering. I can relate to space constraints. I'm just of the mindset that bigger is better. :D

BTW...I like how the plan is developing so far.

Rotor

I suggest a test before you commit to 36" wide. Put a paper cup on the edge of a table and put another paper cup 30" away form the edge. Now put a pen on the table on the other side of the second cup. Now pick it up without knocking over either cup. Keep moving the cup closer to you until you can pick up the pen without knocking over the cup.

You can reduce the plan you have to 30" and not lose a thing. If you don't, I guarantee you'll regret it.

Now that you have the passing siding on top of the layout, you don't need the runaround on the yard lead at all. Use the space for engine service--fuel sand , etc.

Some of the sidings on the lower end of the layout don't look like they have any room for structures.

That was a fun test, thanks. I was able to pick the pencil without knocking anything over with up to 40" from edge of the cup close to me to the pencil behind second cup. Does that mean I can increase the planned width a couple of inches?

What would be the disadvantage of removing the runaround on the lead?

On the lower end - I'm a bit worried about that too, especially with the main line running above the industry lines, and need for space for some sort of piers there. Hopefully I'll get some time to work on that and the "city planning" during the long weekend.

That was a fun test, thanks. I was able to pick the pencil without knocking anything over with up to 40" from edge of the cup close to me to the pencil behind second cup. Does that mean I can increase the planned width a couple of inches?

I guess I should have said the table should be at the height of the layout.

With your design, the biggest challenge will be uncoupling cars on your runaround--and putting cars back on the track if you bump them while uncoupling them. and like the cup test, you will have a pier in the front and town in the back to reach over.

Try the test again. Make sure you are at a relative height to the table. My layout is at 4 feet. Typically you'll want your layout somewhere below your armpit and above your sternum.

This time take a piece of track and rerail a car.

What would be the disadvantage of removing the runaround on the lead?

None I can think of. It serves no function. The runaround in a yard has the purpose of putting the engine on the correct side of the train both coming and going. Your passing siding-A/D track does that.

I should point out that a railroad would not put a switchback into their yard design. It creates an extra move. You don't need to either. The yard should come off the passing siding. You have the space for a well-designed yard. You might read The Ten Commandments of Model Railroad Yard Design

On the lower end - I'm a bit worried about that too, especially with the main line running above the industry lines, and need for space for some sort of piers there. Hopefully I'll get some time to work on that and the "city planning" during the long weekend.

I look forward to it. Simplify. Any time you can reduce the moves you have to make the better. While switching puzzles seem like a fun idea at first, the same switching puzzle becomes tedious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back