Ye OLE Coffee SHOPEE XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again, life gets in the way. My nephew came over needing the loan of my Dremel tool and needed a third hand on working on his truck. Put in a front end stabilizer, worked on the right side front wheel bearing and put new bushings in for the rear sway bar. Then we went down and worked on the starter on my father's truck. Loose wire. Easy fix. Stayed after for stew for dinner.

Hey Jeff, I was real careful with that gluing. My dad glued his hand all up when it first came out. It was a case of once burned, twice learned. I got to just watch and laughed my butt off at him. The hospital couldn't figure anything out, so when we got home, I started with acetone, and went up through the chemical chain to get it off. It took a mixture of acetone, butyl alcohol and methyl alcohol. I called the emergency room the next day letting them know the mixture it takes to tear it loose. I lalso told them to only mix it outside with the proper sequence and volumes. You mix it the wrong sequence, you would be in the middle of some dangerous mixtures for a few minutes. I also told them to dump a couple of dixie cups to keep it from evaporating too fast. So now I watch REALLY carefully how I use super glue. lol

Time for me to sign off. I've had a busy day and am very tired. I did get a little work done on my work caboose. See y'all tomorrow.

P1011399.jpg

Bill- You have great style in your presentation of the menu each day!
Thanks for your efforts.
I certainly appreciate them.

"Nothing says good morning like a great set of Legs!" ceptin twos sets of absolutely fantastic legs

"Nothing says good morning like a great set of Legs!" ceptin twos sets of absolutely fantastic legs
...and you are absolutely correct!;):D

Hope all are recovering from the busys. I think all our visits and parties are about over. Last night was a retirement dinner for my nephew at a local hotel. He retired from the Alabama State Troopers after 25 years service...get this...47 years old and soon will retire from the Naval Reserve as well :eek:. Nawh, he's not done working. He said he had a good chance of landing a supervisory job in security at our new Federal Court House when it is completed. Man, he is set.;)

Otherwise, I've been finishing up on the ground cover and ballasting of Central Yard; that has been quite a job. Also, I have been experimenting with the new camera. Man, you have to be a dumb ass not to be able to take a good shot with the Canon Rebel with stabilizer lens. Today, the wife has it and doing her thing. (Now, if I could only convince her she doesn't have to take 3 or 4 shots of the same thing: one will get it done :D.)

Hi SANDY!

Ya'll take care...ya'heear.:)

57° here at the moment and wet. We've had a long slow rain all day so far. Looks to continue into the night. Low tonight will be around 50°. Had a bad night last night. Had some bug trying to get hold of me but after a 102° fever it conceded defeat.I finanlly got to sleep around 3 am. Woke up at 8 and it's been one thing after another. Breakfast at 9 then out to check the mail then over to check on my parents. Checked out a tiny JVC camcorder they have but have never used. They want to learn how to use it but it's going to have to wait until I have the time and energy to do it. My mother can learn it quickly enough but explaining anything computer related to my father is like doing brain surgery over the phone. It also has to charge for 3 hours as today was it's very first day out of the box. Now you would think that they would supply a wall wart to charge the dang thing. Nope! It has to be plugged into a USB port to charge on the meager power supplied there. Even so, with my parents combined knowledge of computers (all thumbs) I don't think it will be used in any case. Anyhow, after doing that we went to KFC for lunch then to the gas station to fuel up the car then back home. So far an uneventful day and with the exception of a free lunch a waste of my time, time I could have used for something more constructive.

Hi All,
It was fairly cool this morning in the 40's but very wet. Fortunately I got up on the roof yesterday morning and did a bit more of patch work with Tarpaper sections I precut cut and I didn't finish-up any too soon as shortly thereafter it began to rain and didn't stop for a bit till late this morning. I had just measured and emptied the National Weather Service rain gauge yesterday and today I measured 2.8".

I had a new leak in the garage over a new table of the layout so as soonb as it let up I went up on the roof and got that patched or at least what looked bad.

Yesterday, after a long time of wondering what material I was going to use to form the 1/2'" high ramp up to the Serpha Copper & Iron Works, I finally cut a template and used the same sound board I'm using for the ground base to cut the curved section I needed and tapered it using my inverted sabre saw to slowly cut the thickness away till I got it tapered down to almost nothing where it meets the switch lead tracks.

I then glued and screwed it in place and glued down the wood ties to meet with the other wood ties already there. I got so elated that I finally got this section in I started to lay rail on it only to realize I wanted to distress the ties first so now I need to remove a small bit of rail so I can properly distress and stain the ties.

Time to lay down for a while, talk with you later.

Hi All!

Well still sitting with my Dad in the hospital 300 miles from my layout. So no trains. Have managed to sneak out long enough to get some good BBQ last night and some good swordfish for lunch today. Dad will still be in the hospital for a few more days.

He refuses to talk about any other possiblities other than going home to live alone. I have had 4 of his friends tell me he isn't capable of living alone which we suspected. The next few days are not going to be much fun, but with his Parkinson's we don't have much choice but to try and change his mind.

Glenn

Glenn, I feel for you man. I got to the point when my mom was dying of cancer, that I moved in with them for a while to help my dad out. It was really hard to do. I had to teach my dad everything after my mom passed on. She used to cook clean and do laundry up ontil she got too sick to do it for him. If your dad is as stubborn as mine was at the time, you have got your work cut out for you. Good luck man, and I hope it turns out good for ya.:)

Glenn I know exactly where you are with your Dad. At 93, Mom insisted on living alone until the day she got behind the steering wheel and forgot what to do next. She reluctantly agreed to assisted living, but the first year was hell complaining about everyone and everything, everyday. Now at 95, she only gripes a couple of times a month :rolleyes::D.

David: what kind of roof do you have on your place. Seems like you have a lot of leaks to repair. Is it a shake roof?

It also has to charge for 3 hours as today was it's very first day out of the box. Now you would think that they would supply a wall wart to charge the dang thing. Nope! It has to be plugged into a USB port to charge on the meager power supplied there.
You (or your parents) can get this adapter so it doesn't have to be plugged into a computer:http://www.amazon.com/charger-adapter-cable-Jabra-BT800/dp/B000YETCGA
It's pretty inexpensive, and I don't know why it wouldn't be included with the camera. I have a JVC camcorder that came with a plug in charger.

Glenn, I feel for you. Between convincing Mother she couldn't drive anymore
($3500 damage to car when she backed into a tree at the house), and convincing both of them assisted living was better than a 3 story house, then finally Dad's falls, its a tough row to hoe when the kids become the parents. Hang in there, laugh whenever you can, cry when you have to, and things will settle down.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back