Yards Big or Small, Let's see them!

I am a little late getting in on this.
100_1425.jpg

Not as later as me! lol, mines still in the early stage of construction and is tiny in comparison lol..

What make are these yard lights you've got??

Yard tower lights

Scordicus, They were made by Tyco for several years back in the sixties I believe. I've several on my layout, and they work quite nice in low light ! Joe

I remember those yard lights, we have a couple in the clubs parts(some bulbs out).
Are those Cox Dockside cranes straight-track?

cranes

Bob, Yes they are the cox dockside cranes. I painted one yellow as you can see and left the other blue. One has the cpmplete dock set with acces., the other not. I have no further use for them as I retired I've replaced them with two Heljans, ( they are really sweet ) ! If you've use for them or one let me know !

Lester, yep they look the same, I'm rather sure I've got some packed away too !

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob, Yes they are the cox dockside cranes. I painted one yellow as you can see and left the other blue. One has the cpmplete dock set with acces., the other not. I have no further use for them as I retired I've replaced them with two Heljans, ( they are really sweet ) ! If you've use for them or one let me know !

I'd certainly give one a good home!

Bob, I sent you a PM !

Les, Of the many I've seen or had I have never seen one with the tower of metal , always plastic ( even NJ International ). The upper platforms and lights - metal. Years ago " Labell " use to make the origibal self lensed bulb replaclments .

Joe

Yeah, you are right Joe about NJ's...plastic tower, metal platform/lights. A couple of mine have "Super Glue" gussets needed for repairing the tower to base (misguided arm:p). They are still a very nice addition to any yard: 2 light or 4 light.:) Note: a real PIA to change a light bulb. Have thought about pulling mine and replacing the incandescents with LED's.

BTW: I meant to say that there are some very nice yards on here, in both design and detailing. My yards never seems to get enough attention for much detailing, but maybe I can get a decent photo to put on here.

Sudbury yard on the Waterloo Region Model Railway Club. The club layout represents the CP Sudbury Division during the 1970s. Track layouts very closely follow the prototype.

sudburyyard.jpg

http://www.wrmrc.ca/layout13.html

The second shot shows an area behind the first photo, with the engine and car shops and secondary yard:
sudburybackblue.jpg

http://www.wrmrc.ca/construction10.html

Scenery and structures and some trackwork in the shops area have a ways to go yet, but the main part of the yard works quite well.

Around the corner is a light industrial area with some storage tracks, which looks kinda like another small yard. This is technically within the yard limits of the main Sudbury yard.

coppercliff6.jpg

http://www.wrmrc.ca/coppercliff06.html

'

Doug, amazing work there, mate. Tell me, what product did you use for the colored lines on the switch panel?

Hi all, overall this is a fascinating thread. So many great ideas, meticulous detail and dedication. You've given me a few ideas! Thanks guys. I'll keep watching this thread carefully. Keep 'em coming.
The colored lines are floquil paint. I did the upper part of the freight yard panel that controls engine yard #2 and the ADM plant that we added about 10 years ago. The rest of both panels was done by the owner Carl when I was about 10, and I'll be 50 in a few months. If you look closely you can see the brass pins that we use to throw the twin coil switch machines for the turnouts. There are probes that you touch to the brass pins to set your route thru the yard.

Back