Worldwide Pixel Shortage Looming

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Worldwide Pixel Shortage Looming

Megapixels are important components in any digital imaging device. With digital cameras, cell phones and tablets like the iPad all having digital cameras, demand is at record levels.

Megapixel supply shortages will extend into the first half of next year as an accelerating Megapixel battle more than doubles the pace of growth in global consumption even as mines extract a record amount of megapixels. The attached photos shows the Big Megapixel Mine in Canonikon China, one of the largest megapixel mines in the world, and as you can see, the mine is already very deep. It is unclear just how long before it will be mined out.

Demand will outpace supply by 316,000 metric tons in the first six months, more than all pixels in London Metal Exchange warehouses, Arclays Plc estimates. Production has lagged behind consumption since 2021, when the Nikon Z9 was introduced. With a 48 megapixel sensor and 30 frames per second, we simply couldn't supply pixels fast enough! The wait time for a new Z9 was months when they were first introduced, due to the pixel shortage.

Demand has also increased due to the Canon EOS R3 and Sony A1, both high resolution high speed cameras. Other cameras from all 3 manufacturers use slightly less pixels, but more units of those are sold. They're all producing billions of images, the pixel supply just can't keep up.

The United States, which uses 61 percent of the world’s megapixels, is rebounding from seven quarters of slowing growth. Housing starts in the U.S., the second-largest consumer, reached a four- year high last month. Japan continues a very strong demand for cameras and cell phones with high resolution cameras and business confidence unexpectedly strengthened in Germany, Europe’s biggest economy, and the third largest consumer of pixels.

“U.S. growth will continue and Europe is increasing, so the demand will continue to grow. It all falls back to China, and whether they can find new veins of pixels” said Dominic Schnider, Singapore-based global head of non-traditional assets at UBS AG’s wealth-management unit.

1711994940530.png

The shortage has been intensified with the recent expansion of northern Codecs to the endangered species list. They seem to be the biggest users of megapixels and now, they are beyond the control and access by anyone.

At the risk of wasting a few of the already mined pixels, I'll just say "brilliant." ;D

Therefore I formally declare: "You won the internet for April first."

I will point out we do have a backup/emergency substitute. Glitter. Sometimes described as the "Herpes of Arts and Crafts." Once unleashed, glitter never quite goes away.

Of course the actual mining then becomes a problem...and will surely lead to a world-wide shortage of vacuum cleaners. Not that they are all that effective anyway.

No matter. A.I. will come up with a solution!

Back