Working Signals With Digitrax Zypher?

NSlover92

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone could describe in detail how I could wire up working signals that are the Pennsy Position-Light Type. What is everything I need. How do I break it up in blocks? Thanks, Mike

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone could describe in detail how I could wire up working signals that are the Pennsy Position-Light Type. What is everything I need. How do I break it up in blocks?
In my opinion signals are the most complicated part of model railroad electronics and maybe of all model railroading. Books have been written describing in detailing how to wire it up, so it would be really impossible to do here on a forum like this. First we would have to have a detailed diagram of the layout. Maybe we could at least help get some blocks defined. But do you want the signaling to be ABS, CTC, other, or mixed? Do you want the turnouts included into the signalling or just track occupancy? Have you decided on a method for detection of occupancy?

Since you are already invested in LocoNet check this out:
http://www.digitrax.com/menu_detectionsignaling.php
Then all you have to do is to adapt it to the Pennsy position-light you are talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO block signals with block controlers are the simple way to use anomated signals. It works fairly simple. it detecs a train entering and leaving a block and shows green red or yellow depending on the direction of the train and it slocation. the Block controler will note what way the train is moving, when it has passed a block and entered the next block. All this info will dictate what color each signal in that block will show. Block signals were used commonly on us railroads but CTC and ABS signals seam more popular in busy aeras.

Logic rail makes some nice simple units to control Led signals
http://cgi.ebay.com/LogicRail-BA-1-...wItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item58848e26a0

Signaling can be very complicated or relatively simple depending upon the complexity of the signaling system you are trying to create.

As has been indicated there are a number of different operating protocols that need to be determined. Once this is done you need to be able to determine the action of the signal (on/off/flashing) by determining the route a head situation (turnout routing, block occupancy, power to the rails, etc.)

Then when you have a working knowledge of what you want to do then you start to look at the various options available to you along with a close look at the installation expense.

In days gone by I used the CMRI system to control my signaling system. This is a computer controlled system where you will need to learn at least some programming skills. This system is popular and can be controlled by just about any computer new or old if you have, or are willing to invest the time necessary to learn to program in basic. This system is popular in as much as there is a freeware software program that can be used called Panel Pro which is part of the JMRI software package that is used by many to program DCC decoders.

Since you mentioned the Zephyr you might also want to look into the Digitrax equipment for the control of your signaling. Most of the individuals that I know that have created a signaling system using the Digitrax equipment are using Panel Pro. FWIW I control my layout with a Digitrax Chief, I use the Digitrax hardware, and am using an out of date software program to control the signals while I write my own signal control software.

As has been previously indicated signaling is not for the model railroader who is just entering the hobby unless that person has at least a basic knowledge of electronics, DCC, and computer programming.

Al

Mike, as said: it is difficult to answer your questions without more information. Automatic Signaling/traffic control is a hobby within the hobby that requires lots of time, careful planning, installation, and additional cost. It is fun, but can be complex for automatic operation and the design of your layout will dictate where and how the signals will operate.

Plan ahead: The worse problem I had was not starting from the beginning with signals in-mind during the original track layout design. When I decided to include signals and began the plan, many changes and additions to the trackage were needed to accommodate smooth traffic flow from block to block. If you already have your layout track down, you will need to study the operations of signals and how they can apply to your layout. You can go prototypical that most visitor operators don't understand or keep it simple with Red=stop, Yellow= caution/slow, Green=go. This is your choice; either way adds loads of fun and will improve traffic flow with several trains running.

I use a Super Chief for a command center and all Digitrax hardware for my block detection and signal drivers. The wiring is actually fairly simple for block detection with one wire from the block detection board per block and the common rail wire of all blocks in that power district back to your command module/track power. The detection rail will be gapped at each end of the block.

The brains for my operation is handled by Railroad and Company software. http://www.freiwald.com/
This hardware is very user friendly and there is nothing it can't do; no programming knowledge needed. The downside is it can be expensive ranging in price: $129-$389-$584. (I suggest the upgradable $389 Silver for a beginner) This software can even run your trains automatically and provide exact and timed stops along the way(I use this for my passenger trains and run the freights manually). All trains can be monitored by location and auto-emergency stopped if needed, i.e. no pasture meets:D.

I would like to suggest you visit the Digitrax site and download the manuals for the BDL168. This is the block detection board and will give you a lot of information about how to layout your blocks and how it all works. The RR&Co site also has a lot of info and sample diagrams.

Lots to think about and plan, but I assure you that if you are willing to put in the time and money, signals will provide you with loads of realism and fun. ;):)

I'll tell you what, having had the fun of doing an operations session on Rex's empire, he knows what he's talking about. We had, what, Rex, 10 operators that day? He had all the routes and trains pre-planned. If you have the money for the RAILROAD & CO software, it's well worth it. Rex knew where all the trains were at all times, which is important when you have dopes like me operating. :) Rex was still working on completing the actual signaling, so I'm looking forward to seeing what he's done. The software really works, and greatly simplifies the reason for having signals, so the dispatcher knows what's happening on his raiload.

Yes Jim, there were 10 operators operating in 4 Districts on bi-directional mainlines. I was able to track all of them in route and easily control arrival and departure of all trains. While the signals provide visual block information to the engineer, the software reserves the blocks as they come available ahead of the train. It also is setup to select proper turnout direction and direct a train by priority to a passing siding when there is bi-directional traffic. Where no siding is available, the software will hold a train where there is one until the opposite bound train has passed. Really neat! Really fun!:)

NOTE: Mike, before I forget again, having a Zypher or if other Digitrax command module has nothing to do with how you hook up your signals. However, by you having having the Digitrax Loconet included with it does, as it is the communications link used by the Digitrax hardware. So, you are good to go with what you have. ;) I'm not sure about other brand name systems and their compatibility or setups.

Back