Working diesel

Rybcon

What would be a good working diesel that would've appeared in the late 1940's? I'm picturing something like a SW1500, but I know that's much more modern.

Well, when diesels first came into appearance, it was all F-units. Then, EMd decided to create the geeps.

The GP7 wasn't made until 1949, so before that, I guess you'd have industrial switchers made by smaller companies.

In addition to those small industrial switchers, Alco was building high hood switchers like the HH600s and HH660s between 1931 and 1940, so you'd see those running around. Atlas makes a model of the HH600/660s in HO scale.

Fairbanks Morse created their H15-44s in 1947.

The most common switchers in the late 40s' were the EMD SW-1, NW-2, and the ALCO S-1. GE 70 tonners were uncommon in the late 40's, and very few Class 1 roads used them. If you're looking for a small switcher that was in common uses by both industries and Class 1 railroads, the GE 44 tonner would be a better choice. They gained favor with railroads because they weighed less than 45 tons, which circumvented a union rule that required a two man crew in all locomotives of 45 tons and above.

Back