Wire grabs-buy or make?

jasonelki

Milwaukee Roader
Looking to detail some locos and wondering if most buy pre-made wire grabs or do some of you make your own?
I'm kicking around the idea of just making my own, especially the odd stuff, the wide grab that is just behind the last fan on hood units, plus the curved ones on the front of the RSC2 series. I imagine these are all available in pre-made form from one of the detail makers.
For those of you that make your own, where do you buy your stock? I've mostly seen brass wire, but I've noticed they also sell stainless steel, do both of these take paint well?

Thanks!

I'm a newbie and I've made the odd ones with no problem. I even replaced a missing grab iron on the front steps of a loco I bought on eBay using the one that wasn't missing as a template. I mostly use the wire that is used to make fake flowers at Micheals. You can also buy rolls of thin wire at any craft or hobby shop. The wire I used takes Testors paint very well.

A good place for (among lots of 'stuff') for the locomotive/switcher grab iron size is the Standard Dimensions page. Scroll down to the section section .. example, for HO grab irons use 29 gauge wire.

I'm a newbie and I've made the odd ones with no problem. I even replaced a missing grab iron on the front steps of a loco I bought on eBay using the one that wasn't missing as a template. I mostly use the wire that is used to make fake flowers at Micheals. You can also buy rolls of thin wire at any craft or hobby shop. The wire I used takes Testors paint very well.

I did notice Micheals carries wire, but what size do you use? Oops, I guess they do sell it by gauge! Does the silver or gold work better than the other? Or is it essentially the same stuff, just a diff color?

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to make consistent grab irons is very hard (I've tried it), so I buy the Details West grab irons and eye bolts for my projects. Also for drilling all those holes on body shells, but yourself a cheap electric screw driver and the pin vise chuck with the hex shaft from Micro-Mark, and save yourself a bunch of hassle and your wrists. Your also less likely to break drill bits.

Oops.... that should read "railing" insteas of grab iron. I also buy my grab irons as they are very difficult to make.

Back