Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

I too am pleased with any and everyone who partakes in the show train thread! Something of interest to even a casual model railroader....:)

That's what "The Greatest Show on Earth" is all about, entertainment. Fits in well with "The Greatest Hobby on Earth".:D

Heres a question I have for you Johnny or maybe someone else on the thread may know, I want to convert the coupler boxes from the press fit to a screw on. Im planning on sanding off all the nubs on the plates and drilling and tapping holes for screws but I have no idea what size tap and screw I should use. Any suggestions?

Kadee sell a drill and tap set #246 which includes a 2-56 tap, a #50 drill for the hole, and a clearance #43 drill for the screw to pass through.

If you're tapping into plastic be very careful not to strip out the thread either when tapping or when tightening the screw into it. In many cases with plastic it is better to use self tapping screws, still with care.

You'll also need a tap holder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres a question I have for you Johnny or maybe someone else on the thread may know, I want to convert the coupler boxes from the press fit to a screw on. Im planning on sanding off all the nubs on the plates and drilling and tapping holes for screws but I have no idea what size tap and screw I should use. Any suggestions?

Eric, Toot gave the suggestion which I normally use. More often than not, I use self tapping screws. Get them from the hardware store(much less $$). Be very careful if you are gouing to do the Walthers flats, not much depth at all.

Update: Wheels have fallen off the Golden Spike Project due to a glitch in the graphics dept.

So....I'm working on the new look for the show I'm building. Here is a lead stock car using a Walthers' plastic model as the starting point. Added details and will still add; a 'wooden' floor, letterboards along the sides just below slatted portion of car, and I'll probably redo the end sill steps, the cast ones photograph too thick...I may also add a red stripe along the bottom, structure, part of the car...

TBCSHOR1.jpg

'B' end...

TBCSHOR1b.jpg

I really like the look of that one Johnny, It's a pity though that no amount of scrubbing seems to get that "fresh country air" smell out of 'em, eh :p

Thanks for the advice gents, I may try 0-80 x 1/8 screws, but still looking into some options. That stock car looks awesome Johnny! If I could only convince myself that I could produce such an excellent result... I especially like the eyes along the side, thats one detail I havent seen too often, they look like the perfect size for the scale too.

Thanks for the advice gents, I may try 0-80 x 1/8 screws, but still looking into some options. That stock car looks awesome Johnny! If I could only convince myself that I could produce such an excellent result... I especially like the eyes along the side, thats one detail I havent seen too often, they look like the perfect size for the scale too.

Thanks Eric, I like it too. You are welcome, glad to be of some help. The 'eye bolts' are details west/assoc. standard lift rings. I wanted a little something to stand out on these cars and I feel they help a lot.

Do you remember these? My only real interest for them was when RMC put out an article on Emmett Kelly Jr. and his circus models with him holding one of these cars. I'm not sure just how many or different years were produced , but I have managed to collect four of them....

1softfocus.jpg

This was the photo that gave me the interest...I'm pretty sure his models were built from the old 'Wardie-Jay' wooden kits with cast metal wheels...

ekj.jpg

Some great wagons there, certainly no shortage of variety to model. Your trains are a real education.

I love the shadows in your photos. That net to last one really looks like a sunny afternoon.

I love the shadows in your photos. That net to last one really looks like a sunny afternoon.

Thank you Gary, good to hear from you. Some of the dioramas were built with outdoor photography in mind. That is one of the shots indeed shot outdoors. I've been meaning to tell you, you were correct about the circus parade being held in Chicago. Members of my Gollmar Bros. ring(CMB), filled me in....Glad to see your still here.

I'm still reading every update. All I can add is my own ooohs and aaaahs! It's funny I love the vehicles and history and colorful glamour of the old traveling circus, but I can't stand the actual circus show!

I knew I was right about the Chicago parade but I hadn't found any proof of it.

I was noticing the shiny, spoked silver wheels on some of the wagons, not sure if that's meant to represent alloy or not but it made me think of when a local TV news crew went out to interview a bloke who had a vintage car collection.

One vehicle had these glorious polished wooden spoked wheels and the young lady interviewer (who just happened to be a blonde) exclaimed excitedly "Ooooh! are they wooden mags?"

Back