Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

My request would be to see the Howard Tibbals model. A historic replica of the RBBB show in it's heyday. One of the finest displays ever!

"complete with eight main tents, 152 wagons, 1,300 circus performers and workers, more than 800 animals and a 57-car train"!!!

I'll see what I can do,

I must say, they've made a TON of improvements since my last trip to The Ringling Circus Museum at Sarasota! It's really amazing, but I guess spending $42 million in state funds will do that for a place.

Johnny asked to see the Howard Brothers Circus display, "the world’s largest miniature circus", located in the Tibbals Learning Center. It took 50 years for Howard Tibbals to make this masterpiece.

I shot the pix but, none of these models are mine, they're all from the Howard Brothers display in Sarasota, they're just meant to let you see my visit. If they help you with your modelling, Great! This visit changed my layout direction somewhat.

Maybe Johnny can narrate some of the events shown and some of the modeling details.

8749455576_41d9a6c8df_b.jpg

8748335769_e7c77cc6fc_b.jpg

8748335789_d3688b70af_b.jpg

Two of the things I noticed here ( only after Johnny had mentioned it in this thread a bit ago ) the eye hooks for tethering the livestock and the screen on the slats of the stock car...

Excellent shots! Thanks Joe!

Howard Tibbals the creator of these magnificent models, donated the money for constructing the 'Howard Tibbals Learning Center', where this model is housed. He has contributed literally millions in donations and support of the Ringling Museum in Sarasota, Home of casa de John, the John Ringling waterfront mansion. Although I have yet to visit the new building and display, it is on my bucket list.

As can clearly be seen in the photographs, it inspires many to reflect his work.

Thanks again Joe!

Wow, that is amazing. Such an incredible project, massive scale, I wouldnt know where to start. Its good to know it has a good home in a place where people can enjoy and appreciate the work that went into it.

Wow, that is amazing. Such an incredible project, massive scale, I wouldnt know where to start. Its good to know it has a good home in a place where people can enjoy and appreciate the work that went into it.

It's 3800 square feet! The length down the right side of the entrance, where the buildings and yard are, is about 40 feet long.

I have pix of the whole thing, wagons, menagerie, bigtop, etc, I'll keep posting until Johnny tells me to post them somewhere else...lol

One of the many cool things was the lighting. Not only was each "scene" spotlit, the overall lighting cycled between daylight and night.

8757876409_1c3abd8e65_b.jpg

I have pix of the whole thing, wagons, menagerie, bigtop, etc, I'll keep posting until Johnny tells me to post them somewhere else...lol

Hahhaha, I'm lovin it all!! Giving me incentive to get there, somewhere else?....NEVER! Keep up the great work and you are sharing some very nice pictures!!

It may have been due to the size of the show that they had two. Performers and working men alike shared dining facilities. To think that these shows moved, set up, used and then reloaded to move again, all of this in 24 hours speaks volumes about the integrity of the men and woman who live(d) this life.

Joe, could you please remind us what scale this is? Again the pictures are awesome!

I wondered if they shared or were separate...

And the answer is:

"The Howard Bros. Circus is a ¾-inch-to-the-foot scale replica of Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus when the tented circus was at its largest (circa 1919-1938), and occupies 3,800 square feet in the 30,600 sq. ft.-Tibbals Learning Center."

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a little back lot action? Here are some of the performers making their way towards the performer entrance to the big top!

8796842475_a01ee09e62_b.jpg

8796842619_ede1e255f8_b.jpg

8796842713_aa9a07ea4b_b.jpg

I love the bell wagon!

8796842835_9cdfd93a7d_b.jpg

8796842983_bd761ee629_b.jpg

"I need more power Scotty..."

8796843071_994e99efc3_b.jpg

Back