Winter Retreat in Florida

beiland

Winter Retreat in Fla

Are you a bit weary of those nasty winters in the north?
Are you a model railroader?
Are you 55 plus?

There is a mobile home for sale right next door to me in a retirement community in FL. And you could participate with me and my rather extensive 12x16 dbl-deck layout in the shed of my carport.
https://modelrailroadforums.com/for...-lake-faust-junction.29767/page-9#post-552080

winter home, or retirement home?
private message me for details, .............or post here and I will add details

Actually the fellow who owned it was my 93 year old good friend who passed away a few months ago. He grew up in London doing the WWII bombing when they would ship kids out to the countryside. Turns out he lived with a lady who was in charge of operating the vehicle gates for one of the major RR tracks coming into London,..so he was very familiar with trains. When he found out I was building a model rr layout in the carport next to himself, his response was that I needed to get trains running before he passed away. I did that !

Robert was also sailor, and at one time owned a country store in a little town south of Annapolis MD. I was also in the sailboat business up in Annapolis. So we had lots to talk about,...great guy.

I'm helping the estate sell his mobile home, and thought it might be great if there was a model railroader that bought it.

Last edited:
Housing Prices in Northern Florida

I’ve had a mobile home for sale here in St Augustine for a few months now, and one thing I have
noticed is the number of folks that are SURPRISED at the new rental rates for many of the mobile
home parks. In fact many of these potential buyers are totally put off about buying, due to these rental
rates !

Yes, the rental prices have gone up significantly in this past year, as have all housing prices across the
nation. Look at the purchase prices on new and used home, condos, home rentals, apartment rentals,
etc!

So back to our case here in St Augustine, Fl,….what a great place to retire to,...wonderful weather
moderated by the ocean, but just far enough south of Jacksonville to miss out on their more aggressive
weather,...and their more aggressive traffic !!

What are your housing options,...buy a home (real expensive plus taxes), ….rent a home (less and less
available, and expensive),….buy or rent a condo (both real expensive),...rent an apartment (prices
going up and up all the time, and certainly more than our park’s rental rate)

Then what do you end up with if you RENT a home, appt, condo, whatever,...nothing in equity,..you
own nothing of that rental property.

If you buy this mobile home, then pay the monthly lot rent of $750, you end up OWNING the mobile
home that you might resell for the invested price, or maybe even a profit with the way things are going.
So in the long run, you have paid out a cheaper housing rental cost, and ended up with an item of value
at the end of the game.

Mobile Home in St Augustine Fl

Located in Juniper Sands Park ,….on rt #207 at intersection with rt #312.

Convenient to everything, ….and only 10 minutes from the ocean & pier!!

2 bedroom, single bath, covered car port, screened porch, and bigger yard than many other parks
New roof coating good for 5-10 years!

39K purchase price, (lowest price in this park)
and monthly lot rent lowest in this area,...includes water & sewer, and trash pick-up

PS: What do they say in real estate,...location, location, location
We are located just outside the city limits of the sweet little town (and oldest city) of St Augustine FL. Downtown is a walking town [very limited vehicles), also home of Flagler college. Its right on the inter coastal waterway, and an entrance to the ocean.

You are a short bicycle ride to downtown. You are between #95 and the ocean,...2 miles east of #95, and only 10 minutes from the Atlantic ocean pier.

Being this close to the ocean brings us moderating breezes and temperatures both in the summer and the winter. Plus we are just far enough south to avoid most stormy weather that passes to the north or south of us.

Within a 2 mile circle of our location there are 4 major food stores, 3 major hardware stores, a big theater and heath club complex across the street, a public swimming pool, a major hospital,...etc. (I mentioned ‘convenient to everything’).

Yet we are semi hidden away in out little retirement community of approx 100 mobile homes. Like many areas of this country, and particularly FL, housing prices have gone up. Our mobile home prices have as well, but this mobile home is still very reasonable when you compare it with others in the park.
DON’T WAIT, …..IT WON’T LAST LONG
Brian 904 837 6648

!! PS: Lots of recent new improvements:
1) Doubled the coating of elastomeric to the roof (for extra life)
2) New stove and dbl-door refrigerator
3) New dbl-stacked washer-dryer
4) Remodeled bath tub and all new shower backdrop
5) New color and dbl coated paint job on all the interior
6) Repainted front face of home

BTW, that monthly rental price includes you sewage, your city water, your trash pick-up, AND your
real estate taxes.

Pictures here,
https://staugustine.craigslist.org/reo/d/saint-augustine-mobile-home-in-st/7684682871.html

From what i understand with a lot of looking you can find insurance sometimes. It getting more difficult to find home insurance in Florida,...including normal homes. There is also new requirements for recent roof repairs to qualify for insurance.

I've gotten to the stage that i don't trust the insurance companies to actually follow thru with truly providing the insurance you've paid them for,...rather than redefining the blame game.

I'm at the point that I do not carry insurance,..if it blows away, it blows away. Fortunately St Augustine seems to be very well located to NOT experience the really bad weather directly,...as shown by history. In our recent 'winter storm' this past weekend Jacksonville only 35-40 miles north of us got hit with LOTS of rain and gusty winds,...we escaped the really bad stuff.

I live in cape coral fla & yes i have a layout in my garage but the insurance is pricey for homeowners
now that the housing market has hit 7% mortgage rate & the flood insurance is almost a car payment in flood zones
AKA RIVER/ BEACH FRONT well the building & buying is finally subsiding & prices for rent & overall asking price are
finally coming down , to much inventory & the expense of ownership overall down here

I believe these greedy 'flippers', both individuals and corps, have been a big influence in these housing price increases.

Almost 50% of the inquires I get these days on that mobile home I have for sale, are flippers. I tell them to go pound sand.

Back