Why is the kit so expensive?

Myowngod

Pennsy Tuscan Red Blood
I saw this kit on Ebay at an extremely high price. I was wondering if any of you know why?

Ebay Walther's planing shed kit?
I'm curious because I bought the kit on ebay about a year ago for around $35. With only a day left for this to sell it's already up to $107.50

WHY?
WHY?
WHY?

Heck, I'll sell it for that much... it's not that important to me. I could use the money for more RR items. I could get 3 or 4 kits with that much money.

I'm baffled.

Ron,

That's the way it is these days with those retired WKW Cornerstone kits. I see it with their HO scale blast furnaces all the time: A kit that sold for ~$99 when it was first introduced sometimes fetches >$400!

A supply-and-demand thing, for sure. If the fools want to spend that kind of money, let 'em - I'll just scratchbuild my own! :D

Yeah, What that Blast Furnace gets now is unbelievable!

I guess I'll throw out the bone in the next couple days and see the dogs fight over it.

This is an example of two bidders fighting over the same kit. It wil probably end up going for about $150. There weren't many of these kits built to begin with and, IIRC, the retail price as about $80. If you're really into lumbering railroads, you need a planning mill and double the retail price for an unopened Walthers specialty kit seems to be about normal.

DISCONTINUED...That says it all. Discontinued? Can't get it new? You'll pay what the market will bare.

I've done it myself. :rolleyes:

Then the market crashes when the manufacturer re-releases the item.

Rotor

Yep, I was watching for a Superior Paper kit that retailed for $99 new and saw several go for $150+ Funny thing is I ended up finding 2 still in hobby shops for retail just be doing some searching and help from other modelers.

The kit mentioned is not expensive. Bidders are pushing up the price, as often happens in auctions. Great for the seller!

Back