Why Is My Manual Ground Throw Squeaking After Applying Ballast?

GuilfordRailman

Question says it all…I applied some ballast around a turnout with a Caboose Industries manual ground throw, being careful to not get much ballast and glue around the mechanism. After it began to dry, the ground throw itself is now squeaking.

What would cause this? Can I oil it somehow?

I would presume this is a Caboose Hobbies ground throw.
You can use just about any kind of oil on it, but I would limit that to lube oil made for locomotive or motor bushings.
The only place you should need to put the oil is on the small cylinder at the base of the throw rod. That would be the part with the land that spirals around the drum to make the switch rod move the points.

I would presume this is a Caboose Hobbies ground throw.
You can use just about any kind of oil on it, but I would limit that to lube oil made for locomotive or motor bushings.
The only place you should need to put the oil is on the small cylinder at the base of the throw rod. That would be the part with the land that spirals around the drum to make the switch rod move the points.
Correct, It is a Caboose ground throw. I will see what I can find and give it a try.

It’s odd to me that the ground throw itself is squeaking but not anything else. I thought maybe it was squeaking because glue got into the mechanism but I didn’t see any glue and any ballast that fell in between the throw rod, I cleared out.

Last edited:

Back