Why I Like HO Track for On30

hminky

I have a web article on HO track for On30 at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/ho_track/

atlas_track_gravel_pit.jpg

Thank you if you visit
Harold

Slalom.jpg

Here is what my 30" gauge track looks like up in Virginia City, MT. Looks big enough for me! Laid to Milwaukee Road standard on red rock ballast, and all "hand laid". Looks more like your HO track then your On30. Guess it's just gotta be laid right.

Harold your track job look really good. James, I'm assuming that's an outdoor railroad. What runs on it? I'm not sure I'd like that "S" curve on my layout but I guess it's not such an issue for "real" trains. Very nice tracklaying and ballasting job though.

That's a real 30" gauge railroad I work on in Virginia City, MT. The locomotive used is the prototype for the Bachmann On30 outside frame 2-8-0.
In May, 1998, Bob Whiticomb, former track foreman and Roadmaster for the Milwaukee Railroad, started rebuilding the mile and a half of track. Original rail was reused, but all four thousand or so ties were replaced with new ones. Widening the curves to accommodate the much larger 1910 Baldwin locomotive was a major problem. Turning the locomotive around at each end of the track was another challenge, solved at last by building two "wyes." All summer a crew of about six men were working daily using methods much the same as a hundred years ago.
I'm privileged to be a student fireman on the locomotive. Learn more at:
http://www.virginiacitymt.com/AlderGulch.asp

James, that's an interesting history of a tourist road. I never realized the the railroad never got to Virginia City in real life. The trackaying job really shows it was planned by a pro.

The ballast is red dolomite from a mine near there. It's the most beautiful ballast you'll ever see. When up close it sparkles due to the mica in it. Tough to walk on though, you'll turn a ankle easy if your not careful. The line would make a nice model railroad though!

Back