Why do these motor "pulse" with flywheels fitted but work fine without

Smudge617

I've got a old blue box motor that had started to "pulse" so I decided to replace it with another similar motor that runs fine, I removed the flywheels and carefully attached the old flywheels to the "new" motor, now this motor is "pulsing", removed the flywheels and it runs normally, I tried the "old" motor, now minus the flywheels and that runs normally, in both cases the motor's run normally without the flywheels but both "pulse" with flywheel fitted. Can anyone explain why these motors are behaving like this ??

Interesting, motor works fine, till I re install it and connect the drive up, then it starts to pulse again, ah well, file 13 it is, (trash bin) I've got new gold/silver motors, sure one will fit.

if this is DC it -might- be a small issue with the controllers pulse output ??
if ts DCC i have no idea, sorry

Smudge It's called Gremlins :eek:
I never noticed a athearn motor pulsing Maybe one of the flywheels is out of balance

if this is DC it -might- be a small issue with the controllers pulse output ??
if ts DCC i have no idea, sorry
I used a 12v wall wart, ran like the clappers without the flywheels, as I posted, fitted it back into the loco without the flywheels and worked fine, till I added the drive train, seems only to do it when under torque, I'll fit a brand new motor in the morning.

Might be something binding slightly in one of the trucks. Maybe one of the worm gears isn't making proper contact.

If it's an old model, very possible it could be a cracked plastic part of the drive train. Ya have to use a magnifying glass to look at any part that's press fit onto a metal shaft.

If it's an old model, very possible it could be a cracked plastic part of the drive train. Ya have to use a magnifying glass to look at any part that's press fit onto a metal shaft.
Thanks, I'll take it apart in the morning and have a look.

So now all back together, decoder fitted and runs pretty well for a Blue Box, only one issue, the headlight wont switch off, I'll try a factory reset, if that doesn't work, not really bothered, it's only a cheap (£11) decoder, I don't use expensive decoders on old Loco's.

Right, made this one up as a transition Loco, so it'll pull OO with Tension lock and HO's with Kadee couplers, more out of interest than anything else, have to change the tension lock for a metal one, it sits a bit low to couple up naturally, I've bent this one slightly so it'll work, but I've stressed the plastic so I doubt it'll last too long.

Kadee-Tension.jpg

Kadee-Tension1.jpg

Although you'll probably feel the tension lock sticks out too far, you have to remember all UK rolling stock are fitted with buffers, so I don't think it will look too bad.

1688844908415.png

Back