Who makes the best...........

josephbw

code 70 rail joiners? And I may also need some transition 83 to 70 joiners. I won't be using insulated joiners, never liked how they held the rail.

Thank you,
Joe

All of my rail is code 70, some hand laid and the rest are Shinohara.

I had a large N scale layout which I tore out and moved to HO scale over 30 year ago. One of my gripes about N scale next to the lousy locomotives available in the late 70's was the grossly oversize rail. I guess that's why I went with code 70, because it looks so much better.

I have used a number of different brands of rail joiners. I like the Shinohara because they were a bit smaller than others, but a long time ago when I was out of rail joiners and with no hobby shops at all in my area, I used some Atlas N scale rail joiners and they worked just fine. I had to slightly tighten up the joiners on some ME flex track as the web is a bit thinner, but has no problem at all with the Shinohara track.

Walthers has a transition track the goes from code 70 to code 83. I did use some code 83 track in my hidden staging area and used the conversion track, which is 3 to 4 inches long. I think I still have a couple left that I never used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys,
I will be laying more track before long. Using 83 for the mainline, and 70 for the yards and industries. But I need to get some joiners before I can tackle the code 70. I had bought 4 of the Atlas 83 to 70 transition tracks, and have used 1 so far.
Joe

Back