Whitecourt Mimicry in HO

I'll leave the oil on the station dock to dry for about a week.
So, the Inter-Action Hobbies building was started.
Woodshop_03-22-2024 (3).JPG

It will not be made a Christmas building. Rather, I'll make it a wood-working shop known as 'Knot's Woodworks'.
Workshop_03-23-2024 (1).JPG

Inter-Action Hobby kits are really quite nice:
Woodshop_03-22-2024 (2).JPG

I began by painted some parts while still on their carrier.
Woodshop_03-23-2024 (2).JPG

I applied 4x different wall colour changes before I settled on Buff. It went from Model Color Brown/Green thru to Buff.
As of yesterday, I had all the walls braced and painted, and was putting in windows and doors. Hopefully, I'll get time this week to start standing walls up:
Woodshop_03-24-2024 (3).JPG
This building will not be lighted.

to be con't...

The Woodshop building update.

I did manage to get all the window frames and 'glass' glued into the walls. Gotta say, the laser cutting on this fine kit is excellent. Everything fits precisely. Even the supplied clear plastic panes fit exact.:
Woodshop_03-26-2024 (1).JPG

With windows in, it was time to stand the walls and make sure they were square.:
Woodshop_03-26-2024 (2).JPG

It didn't take long to stand the walls, but, it was spread out over a couple of days due to interference of other duties.
The usual need for a third arm was required. I believe God just messed that up, not giving us that third appendage.
Woodshop_03-28-2024 (1).JPG

The next steps are to trim out the corners and install all the rafters. Previously, I glued a strip of scrap behind those rafter holes, to make sure all the rafters will protrude out the same distance.

To be con't...

Closing in on the end of my new layout Woodshop.

The little building was trimmed out, raftered, and roof sheathing applied:
Woodshop_03-30-2024 (2).JPG

Woodshop_04-03-2024.JPG

Only thing left to do, is roof it, put in the chimney, and make up the business signage.
I'm not putting on a front awning, so those rafter holes out front will be covered with a sign. Knot's Woodworking.

Today, I also applied a grey water based oil over the burnt umber colour on the station deck. When that dries, I'll give it a wash. The wash colour is yet to be decided.
3rdClass_04-03-2024.JPG

I'm trying to turn a plastic deck into something that looks like old boards. It's an experiment from the get-go. If it don't work, I'll try for something else.

Thank you for the likes and comments on this beginners thread!
Until next time... to be con't...

And then one day, the little woodshop was completed:

Woodshop_04-05-2024 (1).JPG

I searched through wood working magazines, trying to find words to cut out, that could be used for a proper sign. Everything seemed to be obviously letter-set, so I painted up my own goofy looking sign.
Let's just pretend that 'Ned' the carpenter can build a picnic table, but, is not Rembrandt.

Woodshop_04-05-2024 (2).JPG

When I finally get into the detailing space of the layout, I'll scratch-build a dust collection machine to fit under that right-hand porch overhang.

There will be a roadway curving behind the station. This little woodshop be be set somewhere on the other side of that roadway:
Woodshop_04-05-2024 (4).JPG

I still need to get a few buildings built before I start on scenics. The whole show isn't moving along as fast as I expected, but, it's just a hobby. Lot's of real life events keep popping up that require attention.

If you are reading this, then I thank you deeply for taking the time to spend with me.

To be con't...

Thank you, for the inspirational comments!

Yesterday, I gave the plastic station loading platform a wash, using Vallejo Green Brown. Then I decided that any further work on the platform could be done with it glued into position.
So, I thought I would first spread sand under the platform position, to make application easier. I don't know if anyone else glues down real sand as a base. My reason for doing so, is simply because it looks more natural than painting the base. Real sand can be easily topped off with vegetation ground cover.
3rdClass_04-06-2024 (1).JPG

After the sand was glued and cleaned up, I permanently attached the platform.
3rdClass_04-06-2024 (2).JPG

I was also playing with dark powders, trying to weather the station itself. Turns out, I don't seem very capable in the art of applying weathering powders. I'll need to study up on that procedure.

Anyway, I thought I would pull out my next structure kit.
This is another Interaction Hobbies kit. I like Interaction kits. The layered wood kits come with everything you need to build, precisely cut; and they come with excellent, well written instruction.
Gas_04-06-2024 (1).JPG

These are very complete kits:
Gas_04-06-2024 (2).JPG

This particular kit comes with pop machine, benches, and oil cans; all the stuff one might find in the 1960's gas station reception area. Except, there are no tools and service bay equipment. - It looks like a very fine kit. It even comes with an LED light strip.

If I find time today, I'm going to start with the gas pumps and pop machine:
Gas_04-06-2024 (3).JPG

Hope to get started today, but real life is in the way for the day's beginning. Might have to wait for evening before I can pull out the paint.

Have a wonderful day, folks!

Thank you, for the inspirational comments!

Yesterday, I gave the plastic station loading platform a wash, using Vallejo Green Brown. Then I decided that any further work on the platform could be done with it glued into position.
So, I thought I would first spread sand under the platform position, to make application easier. I don't know if anyone else glues down real sand as a base. My reason for doing so, is simply because it looks more natural than painting the base. Real sand can be easily topped off with vegetation ground cover.
View attachment 185609

After the sand was glued and cleaned up, I permanently attached the platform.
View attachment 185610
I was also playing with dark powders, trying to weather the station itself. Turns out, I don't seem very capable in the art of applying weathering powders. I'll need to study up on that procedure.

Anyway, I thought I would pull out my next structure kit.
This is another Interaction Hobbies kit. I like Interaction kits. The layered wood kits come with everything you need to build, precisely cut; and they come with excellent, well written instruction.
View attachment 185611

These are very complete kits:
View attachment 185612
This particular kit comes with pop machine, benches, and oil cans; all the stuff one might find in the 1960's gas station reception area. Except, there are no tools and service bay equipment. - It looks like a very fine kit. It even comes with an LED light strip.

If I find time today, I'm going to start with the gas pumps and pop machine:
View attachment 185613
Hope to get started today, but real life is in the way for the day's beginning. Might have to wait for evening before I can pull out the paint.

Have a wonderful day, folks!
looks like a nice kit

Back