White Decals?

jasonelki

Milwaukee Roader
I know this topic has been kicked around here for awhile, what I gather is white decals essentially don't exist unless you have an industrial printer of some sort. I'm looking to decal a couple Milwaukee Road RS-1's, similar to the photos(except for white lettering-preferably). What are my options? I only need a couple sets, and I've never priced out a custom job, can't imagine it would be worth it for the small amount I'm looking for. What about dry transfers in white? Are these available for locos? I've seen a few for rolling stock before.

I've got an HH-660 that also has white lettering, the loco is made by Atlas, but appears to have been painted. This is essentially what I'm looking for, except a tad larger size.

Thanks!

have you checked out mircoscale to see if they make the set you need? or the Milwaukee historical society for a list of manufactures that milw specific decals. thats where i would start

No dice on microscale, closest item would be the boxcar decals in white.
Attempting to contact Milw Rd. Historical Society as I don't see any list of manufacturers, but contact page is not loading for some reason...

I remember seeing Woodland Scenics dry transfers in several differt styles and sizes. They may have what you need. Or you can try my friend pete@sparetimehobbies.com
Tell him what you need and he'll give you a quote. He can custom print decals for you at very resonable prices.

I remember seeing Woodland Scenics dry transfers in several differt styles and sizes. They may have what you need. Or you can try my friend pete@sparetimehobbies.com
Tell him what you need and he'll give you a quote. He can custom print decals for you at very resonable prices.

Thanks for the info, I'll try your buddy and see what he can do!

Woodland Scenics doesn't have Milw. Rd. specific decals, they do however have roughly the correct sheets that would correspond letter to letter, but I'd have to line up each letter, not sure how much confidence I have in my abilities as I've never even used decals before!

Do you guys think the dry transfers look as good as decals?

Do you guys think the dry transfers look as good as decals?

My problem with dry transfers is that you have to get them in exactly the right position the first time. You can't slide them around like you can with wet decals. Also, sometimes the dry xfer letter/digit either fails to stick to the target surface, or it only sticks partially.

One option for dry transfers is to apply them to clear decal film and then apply that to the model. This allows you to apply the decal on a smooth flat surface to make it easier and you can still slide the decal around a bit when applying it.

Back