Which way to take a loco project?

I have a new BLI SD40-2 - Santa Fe. I'd like it to be in the old BNSF green/orange paint scheme. If I get an old BLI Blueline SD40-2 - BNSF, should I try to switch the shells and trucks, switch decoders (if the Blueline parts are the same quality as the Paragon2 - I'm not sure), or not get the old Blueline unit and just have a custom paint job done?

What would leave me with the best quality unit with the least amount of work (or in my case damage to the unit, lol)?

I think I'm going to try and switch out shells, but I also have to switch out the silver exterior of the SF trucks with the black exterior of the BNSF trucks. I removed the shell easily on the SF unit, but I'm not sure how to remove the truck exteriors. Do they just pop off with some force or do I have to take the whole truck off and apart? Any help is appreciated.

The shells and trucks, in fact pretty much the entire locomotive, are the same, with the exception of the decoder, wiring, and wheels. The Blueline wheels seem to be blackened copper alloy, and the Paragon and Paragon 2 are blackened nickel plated.
The Blueline sound decoder isn't as good, sound-wise, as it has fewer and not as good sounds on it. I'd swap the shell, fuel tank, and truck sideframes.
I tried posting a photo of my Blueline engine in your wanted thread, but the results were not what I expected.

How do I switch the truck sideframes? It seems like they pop off but I was afraid to apply too much force before asking around. The fuel tanks are black on both units, but is there another reason to swith them out?

Thanks for the help!

How do I switch the truck sideframes? It seems like they pop off but I was afraid to apply too much force before asking around. The fuel tanks are black on both units, but is there another reason to swith them out?

Thanks for the help!

I just took a look at mine again, and the fuel tank is black. Some prototypes and models had the fuel tank painted green, this one does not. To remove the sideframes, pop the cover off the center (gear cover), the sideframes should come off.

I got this from BLI service dept...

"To remove/swap the sideframes on the SD40-2, you have to drop the trucks out of the chassis. There are 4 clips that you'll have to pry loose from above in order to remove the bottom cover plate. Once that plate is off, the piece that goes up through the 4 gearbox wings will be out and the sideframes can be pulled off."

To reach the clips and pry them off I have to get an angle from above the wheels, which means removing the entire truck. To remove the entire truck I would also have to clip wires that run to the gear box, or else I won't have enough slack and space to work with. This means I will probably mess something up and eat the cost or re-sell it dirt cheap.

I don't have enough confidence to not break something. One other solution would be to sell the Paragon2 SF unit, buy another Paragon2 unit with black trucks (like the CSX), and then buy the Blueline BNSF and switch the shells only. Then I would sell the Blueline unit in a non-original version with the CSX shell. I would end up taking a hit overall on shipping and re-sale value, but I definitely wouldn't break anything and end up with a Blueline or Paragon2 paperweight.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DTD-HO-BLI-...381167?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item2ec5769f2f

In this Ebay listing, a Blueline has been upgraded with DCC and apparently has all functions except ditch lights. These units were factory made with ditch lights, and when I asked the seller if they could possibly be re-installed, the response was that they don't know if the parts are still there, just that it doesn't have ditch lights.

Looking closely at the front view picture, it looks like the factory headlamps were replaced by solid green parts that wouldn't light up even if the wires were properly connected inside the chassis. And of course one solid green "headlamp" appears missing. Another BNSF unit offered by this seller has the exact same pics.

This link shows what it should look like - http://www.broadway-limited.com/bli-5005bluelineemdsd40-2bnsf6705dcsounddccreadyho.aspx

So how and why do any of you think this unit would get modified like it apparently has? What are the chances of being able to install the proper headlamps and ditch lighting? I figure I could take the clear plastic pieces from inside a different loco to lead from the led wiring to the headlamps, but I don't know where I'd find the proper headlamps with matching color to replace the plain ones on this ebay unit.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Or if anyone knows who can do a good custom paint job, as suggested by NUTNDUN, I'd consider that option also.

Back