Which N Steamer would you get

Chaparral

I’ve been hanging around MMR sites for quite a while and now it’s time to git’er done Gonna get me an N steamer:
I did the DIY route trying to find info on N steam engines. It's not easy! They all want to sell you a rope with a horse attached.
So, I'd like to ask your advice.
-something CN used on the Canadian prairies to west coast in 1950’s to 60’s
-I’d like it to be impressive looking
-layout is 32 x 96 single loop, single grade, one 40” passing track, 10 inch radius all over
-can scare the day lights outta 150.00 Canadian, maybe a little more
-DCC isn’t in my vocabulary so un-dcc is good
-should be quiet, no gear noises after break-in.
-I'm not persnikatty over exact eras and transitions

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve been hanging around MMR sites for quite a while and now it’s time to git’er done Gonna get me an N steamer:
I did the DIY route trying to find info on N steam engines. It's not easy! They all want to sell you a rope with a horse attached.
So, I'd like to ask your advice.
-something CN used on the Canadian prairies to west coast in 1950’s to 60’s
-I’d like it to be impressive looking
-layout is 32 x 96 single loop, single grade, one 40” passing track, 10 inch radius all over
-can scare the day lights outta 150.00 Canadian, maybe a little more
-DCC isn’t in my vocabulary so un-dcc is good
-should be quiet, no gear noises after break-in.
-I'm not persnikatty over exact eras and transitions

Thanks

Bachmann Spectrum would be the least expensive and their 2-8-0 in N runs real well. Model Power makes, (or did) a USRA 2-8-2 and 4-6-2. Kato has/had a USRA 2-8-2, but its the most expensive. But I don't think there are any "pure" CN prototypes for N out there.

Lots of good choices listed, but the one spec you gave that worries me is the 10 inch radius curves. You may have issues with a long wheelbase X-8-X engine (like a Bachmann 4-8-4 Northern.....not that I'd recommend one anyway) If at all possible I'd try-before-you-buy. Of all the engines listed, the Kato 2-8-2 is probably the most time tested design, and EVERY major railroad had a Mike at some point.

my choice: Bachmann spectrum n scale 2-8-0

For a cheap, non dcc engine you can't beat it--and it WILL take 10" curves.
the CN had plenty of these

Back