Which locomotive to get, N scale

oplholik

Since I'm going to be retiring at the end of June, I am going to do some model railroading. It has been 20-25 years since I've had a layout. Which Diesel loco to get for the long freight? The layout will be 36" X 80"(a door) and will be using the radius that will fit on that. I was in the local hobby shop today looking. They had a few Kato's, quite a few Atlas, and I believe some Bachman's. The price difference between the Atlas and Kato didn't seem to be that much, so which is the better? Thanks.

Paul

Hi Paul,

The loco's you get will depend on the minimum radius you will on your layout. 6 Axle Diesels will require large radius, while 4 Axle Diesels can handle narrow and sharp radius turns.... I would suggest going with a couple GP38-2's. Im not sure what kinda radius you will be able to get on that door layout, but you may be able to run longer freight like 60-89' cars and 6 axle diesels....

I have a Kato AC44 that runs great. On wide curves, this locomotive is an excellent performer. I own an Atlas loco too, but I can't run it until I have DCC.

The SD40-2 Kato that I have is very nice, I just ordered a second because I am so impressed. I just received 2 Atlas GP30's and I like them, but did not realize the nose lights were not lit. Every picture I see has them lit, so I am surprised Atlas chose not to light them. They are nice loco's though. I don't think I will have a problem buying Atlas, Kato or Intermountain engines, the all come highly recommended. Currently I own 4 Kato engines and 2 Atlas engines and I am pleased.

Since I'm going to be retiring at the end of June, I am going to do some model railroading. It has been 20-25 years since I've had a layout. Which Diesel loco to get for the long freight? The layout will be 36" X 80"(a door) and will be using the radius that will fit on that. I was in the local hobby shop today looking. They had a few Kato's, quite a few Atlas, and I believe some Bachman's. The price difference between the Atlas and Kato didn't seem to be that much, so which is the better? Thanks.

Paul

hey Paul The newer Atlas runs great but I think Kato is still a better puller if your looking drop me a PM I have loads of motive to sell power :cool:

Detail is better on Atlas, Kato runs slightly better. The somewhat older Atlas/Kato GP 30/35 models are excellent runners, with good detail. Most of the latest offerings of almost all the manufacturers are big 6 axle units, and if you are going to have 9 3/4"-11" curves, the 4 axle units will be more trouble-free, operation-wise. I would steer clear of Bachmann diesels, and give careful test runs to any Bachmann steamer you consider purchasing. Most Intermountain is good stuff, as is most of the newer Life Like (or Walthers now, they bought 'em). Micro-Trains has a nice offering with their FT pairs, even Model Power FP7's are not bad. Atlas has a good switcher in their MP15, and Kato has done well with their NW2.

Bachmann plastic gives a whole new meaning
to hot steamy load of crap :mad: i have 4 dash-8cw's
they are all NEW, with broken gears (spectrum clear cases)

:mad: STAY AWAY FROM Bachmann!!!!! :mad:

I am a large fan of Kato engines. They look great and from what I have heard (as I don't own any myself) they run nice too. I had an Atlas U25B that could pull like none other, sold it though as it wasn't in the era I wanted to model. I presently have 4 Life-Like locomotives that run very nicely. The RS-2 units are good and strong but not quite as fast as some (I was racing a NS train at my club last night and lost, LOL). The FA/B-1 unit set I have is nice as well, just a little noisy. I am hoping it wears down as I break them in, still quite new!

Fullsteam88

Kato is a super runner,very quite,Atlas is good also ,good quality,don't care for Bachman they are cheaper,the ones I have are very noisy.You get what you pay for Riograndeman

Back