Where to go from here? Mantua Big Six

So I found an old Mantua Big Six at a hobby shop in Portland for $25. It was so cute, just had to have it.

Problem is, it appears that whatever grease was used to lube it sort of ate the the drive gear (on the axle) where the worm sat for approx. 15 years according to the proprietor.

How on earth am I going to deal with that? I think I need a wheel puller but I don't have one...

I would also like to replace the motor with something more modern than the 1956 open frame motor, I'd like to put DCC in to run at the club.

I am sure NWSL has what I need, but I get lost whenever I try to delve into what they have going on up there...

Please Advise!

By the way- the Locotmove is currently disassembled in order to take pics of parts if any body need more detail to help me.

Thanks!

Oh boy you've got a job n your hands now! NWSL probably has the gears you need but now that I think of it try Yardbird trains http://www.yardbirdtrains.com/ They are speciallists in the older trains and probably have more experience than anybody .
You might be able to just pull the gears off by hand but when you re-assemble the gears and driver onto the axle you have to make sure you quarter the driver properly to avoid rod bind.
Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually Yardbird can supply a full set of drivers w gears and the appropriate wrench to take the mini bolts out. Gearboxes can be had, but also DCC friendly Pittman motors can also be had.

This thing has one worm and a total of one gear. I've contacted Yardbird, they just moved shop and it wont be until the end of the year, I was told, that they will be up and running again. If they do in fact do driver sets, that my be the way I go, sine the current wheels are brass (unless the new ones are brass too, in that case I may only get the middle axle). Having an appropriate Pittman motor would be good.

Back