where can i get corrugated tin in ho scale

One of the corrugated sheets listed on Mechanical Metals Inc. is what appears to resemble "conventional" corrugated sheets would have very fine 'ribs' if you kept the dimensions when replicating in HO.

corrugated.jpg

Curious if anyone can confirm those dimensions for 'conventional' sheets?

Anyhoo .. they also have what they describe as "... industry standard for industrial metal roofing ..." .. which would be quite a bit easier to create, I think ...

corrugated2.jpg

Interesting. Just found this "Small corrugated metal making die" on ebay .. listing has ended but .... it says ... "Note: With all the smaller scale corrugated metal making dies (like this one), you get two dies with each order. This allows you to use them together to "stamp" the pattern between them."

Anyhoo .. it refers to 'instructions' ..

.. following that URL ... I 'back-peddled' over the URL to the website the PDF is on .. http://www.tomfassett.com/ ... nothing I could find but there IS a email link.

I've got that from Tom before and I found it has the same problems as the styrene. It will get flat edges over time and the size of the pattern is to large for HO scale. It may be ok for roofs but looks to large for buildings and such. Sorry, I forgot to mention that before. It's not bad to have but I'm still looking for something more to scale for Ho as well as something that will work with the heavy amuminum from the cooking foil pans.
Dave

yeah i agree they would be great for roofs but they suck for walls if i have to go with the press plate method i will machine a set of plates and use a shop press to form it but getting a cutter for my milling machine that small is gonna be fun. my vertical milling machine uses a taper-fit chuck and accepts 1 inch diameter tools i do have a drill bit collet so i can use it as a dril press. i guess if i got the tool i could do that but i like the paint tube device the best. "if only it was small enough" give me time i will try to make one eventually if i am able to make one i may consider trying to produce more then just one for me.lol

The 'conventional' corrugated sheet has (in HO) a 0.0287" between adjacent 'grooves' .. each is 0.0065" in depth. If you wanted to replicate that (making a die) ... American-Carbide.com has a 1/64" dia (0.0156") ball nose carbide end mill available. It has a 1/8" shank. I love this stuff. Makes me want to purchase a hobby mill. I was a machinist back in the 80's ... more familiar with a Davenport but I betcha I could go crazy with a small hobby mill. I can see several ways to "do it" .. but kinda hard without the mill. :/

yeah i am the lucky one to have a machine shop in my backyard since my family has our fingers in everything. i have two end mills one yertical and one horizontal and a lathe and tubing benders and welders but thats about it. however i have a friend that has a plasma cutting table witch is totally awsome.but it is not in service and requires alot of work to get it working again. i will have to get a bit to make a set of plates. if i did manage to make good metal plates what woul they be worth if i sold them to you guys or on ebay

@rat. The horizontal mill is best for gear cutting etc. The vertical though .. you could 'go to town' with that. Fly-cut the surface then use the ball nose to make the groves. Thing is .. you would have to make multiple passes to create the 'hump' between each grove .. then have to finish with a file. HOLY CRAP!! They have a .010" dia Ball Nose carbide end mill!! HOLY DOUBLE CRAP!!! $45.50 EACH!!

I thought I would be interested in one for myself but I didn't think how much it would cost to buy something that was milled. What would it cost?

Dave

When I worked at a machine shop in 1976 it was $50 an hour for labor plus cost of material. I hate to think what it is now.

After taking a look at the HO corgated siding from Campbell I can see what I posted was way off indeed.

Their sidings impressions are just slightly preceiptable at 0.001.5 deep with a total thichkness of 6.5 ths.

I was looking around at various jar and bottle caps that have similiar type ridges to them and the ones I have are off large size Penut Butter jars but only offer a width of of 15/32" which isn't all that wide. I would imagine there should be some other caps abvailable that could be used that are wider/higher to accomodadte wider stripes of metal but I'll have to admit two metal wheels would be the best but where to find them other than have someone machine them for you is another issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not been able to get past this step you mentioned as well. I'm sure there are people out there that can machine what it is we are looking for but at what cost and than after you have the wheels/gears you need to add a hand crank and make it so you can run the metal thru like a pasta machine (the Italian in me).

Dave

the hand crank is the simplest part and can be made in roughly half an hour with a lathe and a drillpress. my horizontal end mill doesnt go front and back that assembly was busted before i got the machine but it does go up down left right. but i dont use that particular machine for personal use it is set up for notching tubing and is not fun to reset so i just leave it as is. the vertical mill and the lathe are the two machines i use for myself and the liquid cooled cold cut saw. i know a guy that can make a cutting tool and plane a block of steel into a plate the best part is the machine he would use you can set a bus frame on its big.
to get a tool when i am ready to make the plates i will just go to my local tool shop 20 minutes away and have them sharpen a cutter to the specs i need to mill the plates.
when i do get around to making the plate i will make mine a decent size so i can do an entire wall at once.
btw how are you guys pressing the plates together.

if i get really abitious i do know how to make the roller drum kind but it will require me to buys clamps i dont have yet. but i will need them for another project.
if anyone is banking on me building anything right away dont cause i am slow when it comes to getting money together but i have good intentions and good designs.

also does everyone have a vise to clamp thing in on there workbench

as far as price is concerned if i was gauranteed that the tool would last for a good long time i would probably spend 100 for the plates and 150 for the roller type. if i was buying it for myself from someone else

I was just thinking, what if you ran the aluminum through the wringer 2 times. I know, it would be almost imposable to get it lined up properly.

Dave

Yep. Just thought I would share that .. it's like .. nothing new. I've been working on a design myself in Sketchup which I'll share when complete.

Back