What's wrong with this crossing signal?

Looks like the gate motor has a little problem. The flashers are working fine.
Like any other machine, they eventually need maintenance. That's why I tend to look both ways if a crossing has limited visibility.

Looks like one of those old Tyco crossings with the gates that were activated by the weight of each car so the gate went up and down as each car passed. Maybe they've had Tyco working on that gate. :)

Heck, I'd prefer that to the sort of malfunction that always plagues my local grade crossing: The flashers flash and the gates go down and stay down indefinitely, with no train anywhere within miles!:mad:

Malfunctioning crossing gates

Being that I was once an engineer I now always almost come to a complete stop and look both ways at train crossings. Two many times we were the first train to approach a crossing gate that wasn't working. We would radio ahead and then all trains would stop at the crossing before proceeding. Before the call both the train and autos approaching the malfunctioning gates had no clue.

NYC_George

Yeah, we've had the same problems as Eric and George. We've had grade crossing signals go off for hours with no train and then not activate for a train at all. At one time, signal mainters used to check grade crossing signals and gates on a regular basis. Now, it seems they are only called when there's an obvious malfunction. We had one set of gates down on an NS crossing for over two hours before a signal crew showed up. It was on a main street and the cops were hopping mad. The watch commander finally had public works come out and they sawed off the gates so traffic could pass. I don't know who payed the bill on that one. :)

Yeah, we've had the same problems as Eric and George. We've had grade crossing signals go off for hours with no train and then not activate for a train at all. At one time, signal mainters used to check grade crossing signals and gates on a regular basis. Now, it seems they are only called when there's an obvious malfunction. We had one set of gates down on an NS crossing for over two hours before a signal crew showed up. It was on a main street and the cops were hopping mad. The watch commander finally had public works come out and they sawed off the gates so traffic could pass. I don't know who payed the bill on that one. :)

I bet they come when they call now.

Back