Whats the best cheap sound decoder

U

up dallas sub

I have 2 athearn up ac4400's and a kcs ac4400 (supposed to be a gevo) and i want to put sound in them. I want somethin that makes good sound not noise. Can anyone help me. I dont want them damn decoders that make ur engine sound like a old p.o.s. Car when its idling.

Hmmm... best and cheap... Honestly I would have to suggest a GE FDL-16 Tsunami AT or GN board would work and they also have the 1.5v lighting so you can keep the athearn bulbs. They are only about 20 bucks more then the MRC's and well worth it. They will give you great sound and it would be worth it in the long run.

Not only is a good decoder needed, but a good speaker is also required. But, a good decoder can make the the worst speaker sound decent. Not so in reciprocation. I found that out on a personal level.

Bob

Unfortunately good and cheap are too often mutually exclusive! That seems to really be true with sound decoders.

i have been reading a lot of negative posts about MRC decoders. i am not a tech geek so all the hi tech stuff turns me off. that said, i have converted all my dc locos to dcc. 21 diesels and 5 steam, most with sound, and the only decoders ive had problems with were the Soundtraxx 101l early models. they are extremly sensitive to the correct speaker, they are bbig and wont fit in tight spaces, i have about 18 MRC sound decoders of various models installed in ATHEARN and PROTO and BACHMANN locos with no problems. for my money the MRC are compact, have plenty of volume, and are easy to install , and the price is right. if you nare a techy who prefers fiddling to running your trains you may prefer a more tech oriented decoder, i also use DIGITRAX non sound decoders and like them as well. i have both the DIGITRAX and MRC DCC systems.

I'm going with the Tsunami and a Model Master's speaker. together you are looking around $120-$140 but the sound is amazing and worth every penny if good sound is what you crave. This is what everyone is doing in my neck of the woods. Cheap just isn't going to really happen with quality but then again this is cheap if you compare it to a Lok sound decoder and speaker

MRCs are a hit or miss, and sound very.... bad.

If you can find an older soundtraxx decoder (pre-tsunami), the sounds are decent (although not as good as the tsunami) and they are cheap enough.

The AC4400 has a FDL-16 and not a GEVO. The AC4400s are basically Dash 9s in a new carbody with AC traction motors since the Dash series only came in DC. The GEVO is a new prime mover, the 12-GEVO which is BASED on the FDL, but sounds different. Nobody currently makes a stock sound decoder with a GEVO-12, but Soundtraxx may be doing one since Intermountain is doing ES44ACs and DCs.

Here's a breakdown

For modern diesels, theres the Dash series. In the Dash 7 line, the designation is *##-7 where * is the truck (B or C, DD for export), and the ## representing the horsepower rounded DOWN to the nearest hundred. For example, a C32-7 was a 6-axle locomotive that put out 3250 horsepower.

After the Dash 7 series, the Dash 8 series and Dash 9 series was designated like this: Dash $-##*(W). The $ is the Dash line, the ## representing the horespower rounded DOWN to the nearest hundred, and the * for the truck arrangement. With the Dash 8 line, GE offered the option of the North American Safety Cab which would add a W to the end of a designation if the locomotive was equipped. For example the Dash 8-40CW was a locomotive in the Dash 8 line, generated 4000 horsepower, had 6 axles, and was equipped with the wide cab. Some railroads, not wanting to break with convention, or with CSX, which has a computer that can only accept a 6-character designation, used the Dash 7 method of designating their locomotives (such as CW40-8 or C40-8W)

Then, GE introduced the AC series, which was the Dash 9 with AC traction motors, designation is AC####CW (would have a -CTE on the end if there was weight added to the frame to improve traction. UP and CSX have ordered some with this option) The # represents the horsepower. For example, the AC4400CW was a Dash 9, which put out 4400 horsepower, had AC traction motors, 6 axles, and a wide cab. If the railroads wanted the DC version, they got the Dash 9. The AC6000CW is an exception. It is NOT a Dash 9 with AC traction motors. It is a locomotive with a German built HDL-16 prime mover (which was deemed a failure)

After the AC series, GE introduced the Evolution series which conformed to the (then new) EPA tier 2 emissions standards. By this time, standard cab (as opposed to the wide cab) locomotives were no longer available due to the conventional and popular use of the wide cab. Also, by this time, all new road freight engines have 6 axles as they work better and provide more tractive effort for the horsepower generated. Because of this, GE dropped the truck configuration and cab configuration letters from the designation. The new engines, with the GEVO-12 prime mover, which can generate up to 6250 horsepower (but in practice is governed to 4500HP max to cut down on wear and tear on the locomotives) The designation is ES##** where the ## is the horsepower (rounded DOWN to the nearest hundred) and the ** is for AC or DC traction motors as the DC version came out first.

I'm not too sure about UP or BNSF, but CSX had their engines delivered as ES44DCs generating 4400 horsepower, but later the software was changed to govern the prime movers at 4000 horsepower to save on maintenance costs. The new ES44AC-CTEs on CSX still generate 4400HP. Norfolk Southern had their ES40DCs delivered with 4000 HP, but they are buying AC engines now, with 4400 horsepower (ES44ACs). Some of CSX's AC6000CWs with the unreliable german prime movers were returned to GE and had their HDL-16 replaced with a 12-GEVO generating the full 6250 horsepower.

The MBTA just ordered 20 passenger locomotives with the 12-GEVO on board and will have them governed at 4650 horsepower for passenger service. (the extra is for the head-end power, and because passenger coaches are heavy!)

You can get decent sound from the Digitrax decoders. They come with the speaker included for around $50 and the sounds are programmable.

I just pruchased an MRC 1025 synchro sound box for $40.00 off the net. I now have sound for all my engines including steam. Can be used for DCC and DC. Connects to the power pack and track so engine revs and chuff rate increases automaticaly with throttle.
Has a 3 X 2in speaker and 3 watt output. You also have several choices of bells, horns and whistles. If you run your sound engine with a dummy you now have two engine sounds at once. I'm very happy with it. I had the older 2 speaker MRC system without Synchro sound for over 15yrs. with no problems.

Bob

I just pruchased an MRC 1025 synchro sound box for $40.00 off the net. I now have sound for all my engines including steam. Can be used for DCC and DC. Connects to the power pack and track so engine revs and chuff rate increases automaticaly with throttle.
Has a 3 X 2in speaker and 3 watt output. You also have several choices of bells, horns and whistles. If you run your sound engine with a dummy you now have two engine sounds at once. I'm very happy with it. I had the older 2 speaker MRC system without Synchro sound for over 15yrs. with no problems.

Bob

But the sound is coming from the box and not the engines.....

Back