What Track Do You Use

brubakes

I don't know if this is the right forum or not, but I was wondering what track everyone prefers and why do you like it?

I use good old Atlas code 100 flex and sectional track. It's reliable, easy to lay, and looks good enough onc ti's weather and ballasted.

Atlas Code 83 for me! It looks good, is affordable, and has the broadest assortment of turnout sizes available.

I was about to ask the difference between code 100 and code 83 track. Atlas does a good job at explaining it on their site. For all the other newbies that may find this thread and wonder the differences, CLICK.

I'm in N scale and I use Atlas code 80 for all the hidden trackage and Atlas code 55 for everything "on-stage".

Micro Engineering Code 83 Flex. It looks amazing and holds its shape. It is harder to work with then Atlas. I also handlay track with Micro Engineering Code 83 and Code 70 Rail.

Walthers(Shinohara) makes nice switches in Code 83, but getting them can be very hard. So I'm making Code 83 switches using the Fast Tracks system and Micro Engineering rail.

Micro Engineering Code 83 Flex. It looks amazing and holds its shape. It is harder to work with then Atlas. I also handlay track with Micro Engineering Code 83 and Code 70 Rail.

Walthers(Shinohara) makes nice switches in Code 83, but getting them can be very hard. So I'm making Code 83 switches using the Fast Tracks system and Micro Engineering rail.
Glad to see I'm not the only loaner shelling the extra money for the ME track.

I'm using Atlas Code 83 right now, but 90% of the track will be buried in the street.

On the Rock Ridge and Train City, I plan to use ME code 70 on exposed track and on the helix and staging Atlas Code 100.

Why not the "quick connect" type of track like Bachmann E-Z Track? Other then being limited to only the lengths/types sold, are they a lesser quality? Just looking for opinions.

I use Bachmann E-Z track on part of my layout. There's nothing of lesser quality compared to other types of track. There's a bigger variety of curve radius tracks being produced all the time. I would actually recommend this track for a beginner since it will get a layout up and running faster than any other kind of track. The biggest problems are the turnouts. The don't have positive point closure so cars are forever picking the points. If Bachmann would improve thier turnouts, I think the E-Z track system is very viable for most layouts.

All of my mainline is code 70 (HO) with code 83 used for hidden track. The majority is hand laid. Mine is a small branch line railroad, and the use od lighter rail will limit locomotive size. I model the steam to diesel transition (1957). The largest steam locomotive I use is a Mikado (2-8-2) and most diesels are a B-B truck with a couple of C-C locomotives, SD-7.

I'm using a mix of Atlas code 83 with wood ties and concrete ties. I've seen on the prototypes, they lay one track on a double track mainline with concrete and leave the other wood.

Ken, that just means that in a few years you'll have to tear the other track out on the main and put in new track with concrete ties when the upgrade is scheduled!:eek::p:rolleyes:

I'm going to be using Atlas code 55 flex for my n scale empire. That means replacing all the wheels on my older equipment with new low profile wheels. They'll look a lot better as well. The difference in appearance with the Atlas code 55 flex to the old Atlas flex track is like night and day.

I just picked up a bunch (20 sections) of Shinohara flexi code 83 off evilbay for considerably less than I can get Atlas locally.
That will take care of half of my needs. Atlas 83 for the rest.

BTW: Reading up on Shinohara/Walthers turn outs makes me think I should use them. I need 8-10 and the premium is not too much to bear. Finding what I want will be the biggest part of the problem....I still have a week or 3 before I need em'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back