What scale should I go with?

fmjnax

Forgive me if I get a bit long winded here. Bottom line is I'm looking for opinions/advice on the best scale to use in my situation.

I'm not entirely new to the hobby; I had a super small 4x4 HO kit setup about 10 years ago. It wasn't very impressive, but was all I could handle at the time due to space restrictions. I ended up having to tear it down and get rid of it when I moved away.

Fast forward to today and I think I'm ready to start planning another setup. My space is still limited, but not nearly as bad. I have a metal shed in the back yard. I still need to run power and get a window AC unit (it's HOT in Texas!), but that will happen in the very near future. My useable space is mostly likely going to be near the 8x8 range, give or take a few feet on each side.

I kind of got a bitter taste from the HO scale set I had. The small space kind of ruined it for me (it was really only enough to have an outer ring and an inner figure 8, of sorts; not very fun). At 4 times the space now, I'm sure it will be better but will it still be enough?

I've really had my eye on the N scale. I think being about half the size of the HO and being on an 8x8 area, I could really come up with a nice layout (I'm going for kind of a high alpine/mountain tunnel type)...

But then I stumbled upon the Z scale. I could almost have an entire world built on an 8x8 table! The price is a killer, though. This might end up being just too small.

Am I leaning towards the best choice with the N scale, or should I consider something else? Keep in mind, this will be in a shed that WILL collect dust and will not be humidity/climate controlled for the most part. I don't know if that plays in to choosing a scale, but it's still something to consider.

I don't really hear much about Z scale. It might be fun to dabble in, but for selection and support from a community N scale will be your hero.

I saw z scale at a train show locally and it is SMALL! But you are right it has a LOT of scale mileage available.

My big reason for n scale was that i can't stand the thought of just watching it go in a small circle. I want it to feel like it's actually going somewhere.

You should go visit a local hobby shop. And look and see what you like.

When I first saw N scale, it was just way too small for me, so I picked HO.

You don't have to have a huge area for HO, to have some fun. There are lots of people who have small switching type layouts in small spaces.

But if you pick N scale, make sure you look at it yourself, and can handle the small parts. I have trouble changing out small parts like couplers with HO scale, N scale parts would be just too small for me.

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, I don't have a hobby shop way out here where I live and the nearest club is over 2 hours away. I've owned HO and I've personally seen N scale, though. Z scale I have never seen in person. I'm still a young fella so small parts are no problem. I think I've pretty well decided on N scale, unless I stumble across a reason that will push me back to HO.

RUN FAR AWAY from Z Scale for the non dust controlled room you have to work with. N Scale may be a little tough with the dust, but will give you the best bang for your buck for what you're working with.

If your eyes and fingers can handle the small size of N scale, and you like it, by all means go for it! There is a great deal more available in N scale than for Z scale. And remember you will need about 2 feet on each side of the table for access, and most people can only comfortably reach 24-30", so plan your benchwork accordingly.

I went with N scale beginning in january 2012 and am totally happy with it.....was able to get a bunch of used N equipment, track, engines, railcars, for great prices. Now a days new N scale sells for less than HO....wasn't always that way. Z is a still an expensive and somewhat rare novelty. HO is great too and a bit easier to work on. I'm going DCC soon. Good luck with your layout.

Mike

It sounds like N would be the best choice........but always go with the biggest scale you can fit into your space and still do what you want to do........and remember there IS such a thing as too much of a good thing. Adding more track simply to fill space can be counter productive.

N scale is an emerging scale with a lot manufacturers bringing out improved detail and performance products in this scale. With that being said, HO scale is still a very good option given that the larger size does bring slightly better detail and the product availability for HO scale is the best. When choosing which scale the two most important factors would be your available space and if you have the ability to work on the smaller N scale trains.

Best regards,
Brian

Wow! You guys are awesome. WAY more input that I ever would have expected!

I did some more research and planning yesterday and N scale is most definitely the way I am going to go. I went out to the shed yesterday and did a dust analysis of some stuff that hasn't been used in a while. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought and shouldn't be too much effort to keep on top of.

I'm going to start piecing together a start-up kits (I don't want to buy a full pre-packaged kit) and work on my layout plan. At first, I was going to do just a big 8x8, but after some more thought (and input on here!), it would be tough to reach the center; even with my long reach (I'm 6'5"). I've now shifted gears to an L-shape. It will still be 2 full sheets of plywood as the bench, but will be much more accessible. Once I come up with my initial sketches, I'll throw it into RTS and hopefully churn out a working layout to start my work on. I have half the shed full of plywood, MDF, styrofoam, and blue foam and I can't wait to put it to use!

I was going to suggest N scale, but it looks like you've already found your answer. ;)

I would love to be proven wrong because more options are always good, but I think that Z scale is a bit too small for most and will always be a bit of a novelty. HO will always be king but N is very popular these days and will continue to gain traction now that the quality of the models is right up there.

Yod didn't say what era, (steam, Diesel) and whether you were modelling the REAL Alpine mountains, or just 'the look'.

N for modern US operation, small to middle sized steam in HO for steam era, possibly German steam (although pricey, but cool to watch).

I would be instantly concerned about the grades and number of bridges and tunnels involved.

I have HO in a 17 x 12 room as a double track - twice around thing with a big 10 x 6 inner platform. HO is fine but I realize that N scale in THAT BIG an area would be spectacular as modern NS in the Blue Ridge. I'm doing N&W in the 1930's and using mostly smaller power like 4-8-0's and 2-8-0's with a few 2-6-6-2's and too many 2-8-8-2's.

N scale and Z scale are okay, but really, tiny tiny trains? I had a kato n scale Japanese E231 suburban train, and im very disapointed with it :( Its very small, and lacking details. HO scale is the best scale out there! So many choices, and its all worth the money (except for bachmann) ;)

To make it shorter, I would go with HO Scale :D

After watching a lot of YouTube videos on Z scale, I definitely agree that it is much too small. I still chose to go with N scale, though, because I am limited in space and I wanted to pack as much as I could in that space. Sure, I would love to have a scale, but if space (and cost!) wasn't an issue, I would be one of those with a full blown outdoor garden railroad. :D

I started in HO in 1996 with my father and sold it all when they divorced. :( I have a 4' by 6' table now and was playing with N scale when I got back into model railroading last year but I gave up as I want the realism and detail and N scale does not work with my very shakey hands on decoders, landscapes and so on so I went back to HO this month in fact! HO is your winner :D

Back