What material do you use

Chemdawg

What material is normally used as a backdrop, and the matieral used to make the edge of the layout with your layout plan/lights on it (showing turnout positions)? I guess in some places it needs to be flexible. Ideas?

I'm building the current D&J Railroad with drywall backdrop material. I had used the brown masonite board on the previous layout, but it seemed to soak up the paint I applied for sky blue and the brown would show through.
The masonite can be used for the facia material as it is sturdy enough to be self supporting and holds toggle switches, push buttons and indicator lights quite well, and its very affordable compared to plexiglass.
I suppose you could use a combination of masonite with inset plexiglass panels.

Check into rolled roof flashing for the backdrop. I use 1/2-in blue extruded foam - don't even have to paint it. LOL. But then that's just for a shelf switcher.

I used the 1/8" particle board that they use for cabinet backing. It's flexible enough to curve around edges.

You can bend 1/4" drywall. You can bend thicker but its kinda difficult to do. Look in the thread D&J Railroad from scratch. I posted some puctures of drywall that I put in a curved corner. Its about a 48" radius.
Ya need to spray it with water and let it bend naturally by supporting both ends of it and placing a weight in tbe middle so it will bow. It takes a while to do it.

Back