What lower cost kits have replaced the old Athern "Blue Box"?

Pacodutaco

My nephew has come to me and wants help building an HO railroad of his own. He is 11. It has been years since I modeled in HO and I don't know which kits would be good for him to build (and afford). Has anything replaced the old Athern "Blue Box" kits I built as a kid?

You can also hit the local train shows, lots of dealers have "new old stock" Athearn kits. This has been a great source of rolling stock for my kid and I; he's nine; a little messy with the glue, but getting better.

Branchline, now owned by Atlas, also has reasonably priced kits. A little more involved than the old Athearns but not beyond the skills of a young man that age who has built a few plastic models. Bowser is still offering kits priced at or slightly above the Branchlines.

Accurail's hopper kits are a lot of fun to build, not hard, and yield nice looking cars. I built three Bowser 53' trailers yesterday and they were simple and look outstanding. As I was building them I remember thinking 'A 10 year old could easily build these.' So either of these would be great for an 11 year old...

Back