What is the Kodachrome color?

meanjean

Not sure if this is the right place but what color is the yellow and the red on the SP/SF Kodachrome engines? Didnt see it labeled as such at my hobby shop. Thoughts.:confused:

The yellow is very close to standard ATSF yellow so I think that would work. The red is standard SP Scarlet but much glossier on new engines. Since the paint scheme was supposed to make the merger of the two companies (even though it never happened), the yellow and scarlet were very close if not the exact same paint used on the respective ATSF and SP engines.

I found it mentioned in an old issue of Model Railroader I was reading yesterday. The colors they called for are Floquil's Reefer Yellow and SP Scarlet Red.

Thanks guys. The ATSF yellow didnt look right so the refer yellow looked closer. After weathering and dull coat it may all blend in.

Chad, I've got every color Floquil makes for RailRoads. None are a match. I mixed my own starting with Reefer Yellow and adding white to pale it down. I painted the handrails, horn and dropstep, as you can see by the attached picture.............

100_2708.jpg

It's about as close a match as I can get. I still have an SD40-2, SD45 and SD40T-2 to complete in KodaChrome.

Chad, I've got every color Floquil makes for RailRoads. None are a match. I mixed my own starting with Reefer Yellow and adding white to pale it down. I painted the handrails, horn and dropstep, as you can see by the attached picture.............

100_2708.jpg

It's about as close a match as I can get. I still have an SD40-2, SD45 and SD40T-2 to complete in KodaChrome.
Man.. those would look awesome in a consist with my Kodak GP40X!

i had a bottle of yellow, not sure what color since the label was faded but its close to SF yellow. Mixed some white in it and it came out perfect. Match the Athearn pain right on. WIth some dull cote it would be hard to tell the difference. What brand is that switch engine? I just bought that same loco in Athearn.

Chad,

That is an Athearn Blue Box already painted in the SP KodaChrome. I just detailed it and touched up everything I added. Right now it's up in Mass. getting DCC and LED's added to it.

I saw a C30-7 in Gang Mills, at the interchange of NS and W&C, a couple of years ago. It looked pretty ratty. If I were to guess, I'd say it was heading off to be a parts supply.

Back