What happened .

Bristolman2012

Really confused , not a computer genius by any means . I was on a web site ( slot car union )when looking for a kato Ho engine ( working ditch lights dcc ready ) and road that I wanted . I started check out process and ended up getting an email from PayPal ( don’t have or use ) china king restaurant for exact amount for kato Ho engine . I even received thank you with an order number from slot car union for order . Disputed charge right away , and now waiting for new card . Any thoughts ? Sorry for question but have never had anything like this happen .
mike

Really confused , not a computer genius by any means . I was on a web site ( slot car union )when looking for a kato Ho engine ( working ditch lights dcc ready ) and road that I wanted . I started check out process and ended up getting an email from PayPal ( don’t have or use ) china king restaurant for exact amount for kato Ho engine . I even received thank you with an order number from slot car union for order . Disputed charge right away , and now waiting for new card . Any thoughts ? Sorry for question but have never had anything like this happen .
mike
Hi Mike.

Whoa ! As long as you've paid with a Credit Card and not a Debit card your bank should refund the money if this is a scam, which it certainly sounds like it if you don't have a PayPal account there's no way they could send you a notification of payment.

Is this the Site ?

Last edited:
I'll bet it was a leap day glitch. All gas stations in NZ were down for 10 hours due to a leap day glitch. Not like this is the first leap day, sigh ...

Yes that was the site smudge . from What I a tell they are a legit site .
mike
Well, the site does look very professional and the address is for a very nice house in the South of France, however, they do have an Instagram and FB account, they sell on Amazon and eBay, have a YT channel, and I've found several stockists in the UK. I've also checked on the French government version of Company House and they've been registered in that name and address since 2017, so it looks like it's a glitch somewhere, but I think your right and it is legit (phew! sigh of relief)

Thx for all that smudge . This 37-6605 is hard to find , saw some on eBay , so I’ll keep looking and maybe things will straighten out with that web site . I think I’m ok with credit card co too .
mike

Thx for all that smudge . This 37-6605 is hard to find , saw some on eBay , so I’ll keep looking and maybe things will straighten out with that web site . I think I’m ok with credit card co too .
mike
That's an SD40-2, what RR are you after ?

EDIT

Found it, a BN

Last edited:
A couple of things...
Paypal handles credit card transactions for people that are selling and have accounts with them.
The China restaurant may be the one selling the engine, and is using Paypal to accept credit cards. I can accept credit cards by using my Paypal account.

The one I was looking at was dcc ready , working ditch lights . It was 93.00 on slot car site .it was a burlington northern smudge . I have a couple with sound but that part doesn’t matter to me .( scale trains I got at an unbelievable price ) still in their boxes .
mike

Sounds like whoever is selling works for the China King restaurant and sent you the payment request and that they use PayPal for processing their cards. You don't need a PayPal account yourself to pay through a PayPal credit card screen. I think someone mentioned this.

The fact that it was the correct amount and I assume referenced the eBay listing would probably indicate to me that it was legit. Follow up with the seller through eBay itself (ask a question or whatever option it uses) to see if this was them and clarify. It does sound confusing.

A couple of things...
Paypal handles credit card transactions for people that are selling and have accounts with them.
The China restaurant may be the one selling the engine, and is using Paypal to accept credit cards. I can accept credit cards by using my Paypal account.
I received 3 emails ( paypal ) . Wishiknew how to post them . One of them even said I set up auto payments to them , the restaurant !
l

I received 3 emails ( paypal ) . Wishiknew how to post them . One of them even said I set up auto payments to them , the restaurant !
l
If you've paid with a credit card, payment is in full unless there's a tick box saying you'll pay in instalments, and a confirmation email from the seller (did you get one from the seller?) would refer back to your credit card/Bank, not a PayPal account you don't have,

Honestly, speak to your bank in the morning, they may have an explanation, but I doubt that, if not, cancel the transaction and your card, there are too many inconsistencies here for this to be a simple glitch or seller error, to my thinking, it feels very dodgy, I'd rather be safe than sorry (and broke)

You could also still buy the item by using one of their distributors, at least that would keep it local to you, but when I went on their website I couldn't find anything Kato related, and only a few items from Noch, Airfix and Hornby

It's possible someone may have cloned the real Slot Car Union website, check the web address I've posted against the one you used, which I suspect as you only paid $£93 for a DCC-ready Kato with all the lighting features, isn't that a bit cheap for one of those, I know NIB is around double that.

Last edited:
A couple of things...
Yes but it was paid with a card, payment is in full when you pay by card into a PayPal account as you said, you simply accept the payment, as the seller, you cannot set up a PayPal account for a buyer or set up auto payments on that account as it's supposedly not your account, @Bristolman2012 doesn't have a PayPal account but he's getting notifications from PayPal about an account he doesn't have, how's that possible ?

Back