What do you use for WATER?

Crandell,

Green-ish might be better. But I know that colors on a model might look good in a photo and not so good in person - and vica-versa.

Most of the color books I have that show creeks, rivers and lakes seem to have a lot of reflected blue. The best examples are in Vic Neves' Southern Pacific books, Portland Div and Sacramento Div..

My backdrops are not effective in that way from any normal viewing angle. I have lots of track-lights overhead. Maybe I can experiment with a gel or filter on one of them just for fun.

Nancy,

Woodland Scenics has a FAQ section and they listed some things that would effect Realistic Water. But I don't recall what they were.

Safe things are Latex paints, White glue and I've had no problem with Liquid Nails.

OK, I read the WS FAQs and they brought up a few more questions I'd like to direct to people who have used Realistic Water. 1) They say it will never get really hard (like glass I guess) but will get hard enough to clean by wiping with a damp cloth. True?

2) They say to make your dam out of clear plastic and leave it in place. Any reason to do this?

3) What do you use under yur water to keep it from escaping? I am using plaster cloth, but I don't seem to be able to get a really good fill on all the little holes. I would like to seal it with something--they suggest Flex Paste. Other suggestions?

Thanks,
Nancy

I'm not sure what flex paste is. I'm sure it's fine. Paint might be easier to give a final seal.

I just used several coats of Dutch Boy "Dirt Fighter" Latex interior paint. I used a color called Hen House that seems to match to rocks and soil out here. They have lots of paint sample chips and can mix it to suit in quarts - which is plenty. I got mine at OSH hardware. I painted some Acrylic art paints in the steam bed for darker (deeper) areas too. All of it seems to work fine with the RW product so far. How many years will it look OK I don't know.

If a problem crops up in the future I'll just chisel it all out and try a different product.

You might want to find a Realistic Scenery handbook at your LHS by Dave Frary. It's pretty good for about 25 bucks.

Also lots of stuff on You tube now on MRR scenery if you search for it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll be using some whilte interior latex paint that we have around--I won't need much--and paint colors over it.

Back