What couplers do i use?

Has anyone had issues with couplers on Athearn rolling stock? My new Texas Mexican boxcar keeps decoupling...mighty frustrating since I was under the impression that Athearn was one of the better brands.

Has anyone had issues with couplers on Athearn rolling stock? My new Texas Mexican boxcar keeps decoupling...mighty frustrating since I was under the impression that Athearn was one of the better brands.
Check your coupler height with a Kadee gauge, or a NMRA gauge. Many older Athearn blue box cars have couplers that are too low, and the trucks need to be shimmed up with Kadee #208 red washers. An alternative for the red washers, is to install 36" wheels in place of the stock 33" ones. Either will bring the car up to the correct height.
If this is an Athearn RTR car, replace the plastic scale coupler with a Kadee #148.

Willie,
Thanks for the advice. I don't have a gauge, but I may need to invest in one for the long term. The car is a mid-level Athearn (not genesis or RTR). The wheels getting replaced may be needed too, since it sits very low to the track.

AirbrushNo5 did you have any issues with yours?

That's because for all intents and purposes a Proto Max coupler is a Kadee. Direct copy and Kadee can't do anything about it since the patent expired.
I will say all of my Walthers cars have those (mainline and Proto) and have had zero issues. The Atlas car I have has also been error-free.

PM me your address and how many you need. I have boxes and covers; you supply the screws and other mounting needs.
Hi Willie. Got the gear boxes today (Friday) and that was fast too. Now I have to get to work on all the cars that have gear box covers missing. Most are molded on but I can shave them off and put a new box on. maybe have to shim a bit but these that you sent should work great. Thanks very much. Pete.

Back