What C.V. do I use to change direction?

Hello!
I have a couple of BLI Paragon II SD-40-2 in Southern Rwy. and would like to change the Forward direction of one of them to run in a multiple unit consist. (It looks weird having all the units running short hood forward) It will be a consist of 4 units:2 BLI, 1 Athearn and 1 Atlas. I included this info just to cover all the bases.
I have seen and read about how to do this but ,for the life of me, I can't remember how, or which C.V.(s) are involved.
Thanks in advance!
David

There's actually a number of ways to do it! One way is through the motor control settings, which is one CV that actually holds a number of values such as speed table, direction and what to do if a DC voltage is detected. I forget which CV this is and can't check as I'm at work, but CV29 rings a bell (for the love of all things holy please check before using that though, I'm very likely wrong). Even then you would need to know how to calculate the binary values into a usable CV value. Depending on the DCC system you're using, there may be an easier way. I use an NCE PowerCab and the relevant CV is programmed according to how you answer questions when you configure the loco on the programming track.

The other way, and this is the one I would use, is to program it into the consist. Whenever I add a loco to a consist on my PowerCab it asks me which direction that loco is facing, and I can't imagine other systems leaving this out.

Make sure your locos are closely speed matched as well! If any are noticably faster than the others you're going to put excessive wear on the mechanism. Best way to test it is to build the consist but have the locos about 2-3" apart then see how they run.

When you get it running you should post a picture! :D

Thanks, Pete!
The loco's are all speed matched. I'm using Digitraxx Super Chief. I have been doing steam so long I have forgotten how do do diesels. There is a c.v. that you can get into and Bam!...there it is, I've just got to dig and find out which one it is...29 sounds right but I will check to be sure.
I was just being lazy and figured someone would know it off the top of their head.

Come to think of it this would be one of the standardized CVs so it should be the same for any decoder. I still think you'd be better off just using the advanced consist options to reverse it though, as it's so much easier to do and then the loco in question isn't going to shoot off in the wrong direction when you want to drive it solo. I looked up the Super Chief manual and the system does support advanced consists, but rather than outlining the process it refers you to the Digitrax website and I couldn't find anything there on how to do it. Shouldn't be too hard though.

Wright 2626, Pete and Alan:
Thanks for the help, fellas. Pete and Wright, Yes, I found out this A.M., thru advanced consisting, that the locomotives don't care which way they face while in the consist. I think I just fell in love again with my DCC system.
icon10.gif
And, on a darker note, I found that my SD-45 seems to have forgotten that it has been speed matched.....Oh, well. I guess I'll just go ahead and install the Tsunami I bought for it six months ago.
Thanks again and Ya'll have a good Thanksgiving!
David

just make sure that the locos are both set the way you want them to run before adding it to the consist. that is what i read in the manual, anyway. i guess the worst thing that could happen is a tug-of-war match.

I may have come in late here, but doesnt it ask you which direction the loco will run when adding it to the consist? Ie, normal or reversed.

i have the digitrax zephyr, i just have to put in the loco that i want to mu to the lead. it does not ask direction. might try and see what it does if the locos are running different directions when put into a consist. never wondered until now.

I figured I'd let everyone in on what I discovered. I tried to change c.v.29 on one of the SD-40's with no luck....tried in ops and direct modes. The change would take but the loco would not operate, almost like I had changed the address of the decoder. So, I simply re-programmed the road # to the decoder and it works as if nothing happened.
I tried an easy consist on the DT402 and it works great. If you are going to run locos with the front (direction)opposing, have the corresponding direction selected for that unit BEFORE you add to the consist.
Thanks for the help and I hope this can help someone else along the way.
David

Seems overly complex compared to the PowerCab process! Like Ken said, it just asks you whether the loco you're adding is facing forward or backward. Couldn't be simpler!

Not at all, Perhaps I over-explained it....two mashes on buttons and you are running m.u.-ed!
Direction comes into play IF you are going to run a loco facing a different direction.

Back