What brand/type of masking tape should I use to repaint walthers Amtrak cars??

Amtrak47

Hey guys It's been a long time since I've been on here. I have a question about masking tape, what brand would ya'll recommend? I want to repaint Phase I, II, and III stripes into phase IVB on Walthers Amtrak equipment. I have the perfect shade of blue spray paint, however the last time I did this, the paint bled under the tape edges. Now granted I only used scotch masking tape from A.C.Moore and I know it isn't the best stuff to use. So, any advise or help is welcome!

I only use automotive pin striping tape. It's edges seal very well and it peals from the surface easily. 3M makes good tapes for doing this. Go to your local auto parts store to find. Possibly your hardware store would have it too. If you find you still get bleed through, you can seal the edges of the tape with an application of some type of clear acrylic or oil based varnish. This will absolutely seal the edges.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use masking tape from Testors that's made for painting. Some smaller sizes in width, but I did an entire Walters model where I taped off the numerous window stills. Painters blue tape is another possibility.

Greg

I'll second the Auto pin stripe tape and the blue painters tape, both are 3M products. Cheaper knockoffs may work also.

Boris

I'm also with Mark. I use a couple of different brands of auto pin stripe tape. They work especially well since they are designed for air application of solvent paints (even if you use hand brushed acrylics). I've had okay results with blue or green (Frog) "painters tape". They do require more care in application and use since they are designed for thick latex paints.

Greg, Wouldn't pin stripping tape be considered made for painting applications?

I use masking tape from Testors that's made for painting. Some smaller sizes in width, but I did an entire Walters model where I taped off the numerous window stills. Painters blue tape is another possibility.

Greg

I'm with Greg, definitely Tamiya Masking Tape for clean crisp edges due to its thickness (or lack of it) without a question or hesitation. I also use a variety of Painters Tape (green and blue of various widths) BUT only as a cover and not for the edges.

Is the Tamiya masking tape; or, Testors masking tape thinner than 3M pin striping tape? While thinness of the tape is important, I think it is the thinness of the paint that leaves a crisp clean edge. I have to say that because I get into a hobby shop maybe once to twice a year, I am not exposed to all the cool stuff available to the hobbyist. I had no idea that either Tamiya; or, Testors was producing masking tapes! Also, why wouldn't the people doing painting on automobiles want exactly the same quality of materials to mask with that we want with our masking materials? My guess is that both these manufacturers probably use someone else's tape products, like 3M. Could this be one of those instances where because I only use the best products, I must be right in my choices.

Back