Western Maryland in the Early 1970's

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
A group of us - Alan G., Keith A., Al P. and myself - were invited by Dave Hughes of Glyndon, MD, to tour his double-deck layout based on the Western Maryland Railway circa 1972. We were all totally amazed by the perfectly-replicated landmarks of the WM right-of-way; detailed structures and terrain, with beautiful backdrops hand-painted by Dave's wife Judy. I followed a unit train of cement hoppers, got out the cellphone and shot a few photos. And with Dave's permission I'm sharing them here. [Captions are above the photos]

The first shot was a bridge over Owens Creek, located slightly west of Thurmont, MD along MD Hwy 550 - here I caught WM Extra #3577 Eastbound:

01_HighBridge.jpg

[I've driven under this bridge countless times on my way to Mainline Hobbies in Blue Ridge Summit, PA. ]

After passing thru Thurmont, our train came across the truss bridge over the Monocacy River:

02_MonocacyRiver.jpg

Didn't reach Westminster in time to see the train, but here's a view of the WM Freight Depot:

03_WestminsterWMFreightDepot.jpg

Just a little further East, the Main Street grade crossing in downtown Westminster:

04_WestminsterDowntown.jpg

We caught up with Extra #3577 as she went past Emory Grove Tower [near Glyndon]:

06_EmoryGrove.jpg

...and a short while later, just inside the Baltimore City limits heading over North Avenue:

07_NorthAvenue.jpg

We got one last shot of the consist at Walbrook Junction, leaving the East Sub and heading down the Tide Sub [toward Port Covington]:

08_WalbrookJunction.jpg

Here is Port Covington Yard, looking West, with the Hanover Street viaduct in the distance:

09_PortCovingtonOverview.jpg

Here's later photo of the cement train going past the propane dealer at Woodensburg, MD on the Hanover Sub:

05_WoodensburgMD.jpg

[I know it's out of train-chasing sequence, but I just had to include this shot of Suburban Propane - which, according to GoogleMaps, is still there today being served by rail!]

And finally, courtesy of Al's wife Sylvia, a group photo of the "train Men":

TheGangAtDaves.jpg

L-to-R: myself, Alan, Al, Keith and our host Dave

I had another photo of Port Covington but the forum software will only let me insert 10 images...

Looks awesome, Ken. My sister lives in Allegheny County, MD, a bit ways down Hwy 220 from Cumberland. Her backyard goes up to the ridgeline. The other side of the mountain goes down to the Potomac.

Back