Well, I'll be dipped!

flyboy2610

Loveably weird
It actually worked!
100_0077.JPG

I've been wanting to do more in the way of making videos, some train related, some not, but didn't really have a decent camera for it. Near the end of June, I purchased a Nikon D7000, rated as EX+, from KEH.com, a well respected dealer of used photography equipment. I chose it for the photo capability, as well as video capability. And, yes, I was aware of the video limitations of the camera.
I watched a video (OK, SEVERAL videos) about using a VGA monitor during video production. I already had a monitor that wasn't being used. I bought a mini HDMI to VGA adapter from eBay,
hooked everything up, turned on the monitor, turned on the camera, switched the camera to 'live view', and my faithful assistant Wally appeared on the monitor! :)
This is the little magic box that makes it possible:
100_0078.JPG

I cherish those rare occasions when everything works right the first time!
I also have a battery adapter for the camera coming. Basically what it does is it replaces the battery so that AC power can be used to run the camera. Eliminates batteries going dead just as you're getting to the good part of the video!
There's going to be another learning curve in my future!

I made a video of the mess..... err, basement. I shot it with the D7000, and a Nikkor DX 55-200 AF-S VR lens. I have since acquired an 18-55 AF-S lens which would have been better for this, but it is what it is. The auto focus does tend to 'hunt' a bit, and even with an AF-S (the S stands for Silent Wave, Nikon's in-lens auto focus system) the external mic does pick up the auto focus noise when attached to the camera. When I do a video where the camera is stationary, I'll mount the camera on a tripod and the mic on a mini-tripod. The mic shouldn't pick up the noise then.
I also did this as an exercise in video editing, learning how to add transitions between scenes and adding an audio track. Need to get better at splicing the audio. Still have a lot to learn, but the more I use Shotcut the better I like it!

Back