Weekly Photo Fun 7-9/7-15

Earlier today I began an experiment. I weathered a few cars with AIM weathering powders then sprayed them with Clear Flat. Here's how they turned out.

P1010890.jpg

P1010883.jpg

P1010889.jpg

been working on a new truck I got was red but painted it white and add some life to it!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeffery, you're looking good - subtle is the key. The powders look like they do make a difference - will have to get some.

Matt, Very nice, for your layout or a commission?
Crandell - the way 1641 is blowing looks like the fireman is in over drive ;o)
John P - Show us when complete - you've probably said before but I missed it: what scale?

A project I'm just finishing up - P48 scale, scratch built mostly basswood. Source document is a pair of drawings from a 1902 The Railway Age publication. Its been a fun project: planning to enter it for a Merit Award evaluation.

Haven't commented on here in a long while. As always everything looks awesome.

John and zoegraf, I always admired handlaid track. Maybe some day I will get into it.

Jeff, I really like the way your last two cars turned out.

Grampy, as always AMAZING.

I could go on all night about everyone's work. Maybe one of these days I will have some progress to show.

Haven't commented on here in a long while. As always everything looks awesome.

John and zoegraf, I always admired handlaid track. Maybe some day I will get into it.

Jeff, I really like the way your last two cars turned out.

Grampy, as always AMAZING.

I could go on all night about everyone's work. Maybe one of these days I will have some progress to show.

Thanks Brad. I've been model railroading since the early 70's and just started handlaying track just over a year ago. Not all my track is handlaid; the track hidden behind scenery and in the staging area is flex track. There is a section of mainline on my layout which is flex track because I knew I wanted the look of the track in the midst of getting new ballast - the shot with the diesel.
There are many ways to make non-handlaid track very realistic looking. I'm considering purchasing some of this: http://www.cvmw.com/cvt/2003/index.htm
The shot with the caboose has micro engineering track with some weathering and dirt and weed applied to it.

Cheers

Jon NFL--it's HO.

Zoegraf, nowadays it's not at all clear that handlaid track looks the best. There's still the issue that plastic ties are hard to paint to look like realistic wood, but honestly there's not much to choose. If our club didn't have a long history of hand construction, I doubt if we'd start now.

Edited to answer a question that Jon NFL hasn't asked yet--no, typically we'll put in spikes every inch or so. That generally works out to every 5th tie.

Great pictures so far!

Jon, that boxcar looks amazing! A lot of time must have been spent on it. I have just started building HOn3 kits, and I thought they were time consuming. I could only imagine what goes into your model.

A big ol' motor is delivered to the engine house for a swap out. I was recently given the motor from a friend, so it hasn't been painted yet.
DSCF6097.jpg

Union Pacific run through coal train found itself in Southern Montana due to a very large detrailment in Wyoming. This train is heading over to Spokane and then onto Portland where its coal will be delivered to Portland Power's plant.

UP4.jpg

Beautiful Shot!! Seems like I've been missing alot with summer time being here.

Back