Weekend Photofun 16-17-18

I'm intrigued, how'd you pull off the over spray look? :confused: I'd like to do that sometime, on some cars.

It's pretty simple and this is the first time I tried it. Just take some blue painter's tape, I use the smallest width, and cut pieces to cover most of the roof but don't go all the way to the end. I use 4 total pieces, each overlapping another a little. Because of the ridges on the roof, you can just press the tape down a little, but be sure not to get a completely secure hold so that the body paint "oversprays" under the tape a little. Also because of that, you can use a straight piece of tape instead of trying to tear a piece of tape for the overspray look (I tried that before with less than successful results). The best part is that if you are careful with peeling off the tape, you can use the tape again for a similar size car, which helps when painting many cars in different colors. Good luck!

P9100369.jpg

Jeffrey: Every weekend your work its looking much beter, congratulations!!!:)
Keep sharing!

It's pretty simple and this is the first time I tried it. Just take some blue painter's tape, I use the smallest width, and cut pieces to cover most of the roof but don't go all the way to the end. I use 4 total pieces, each overlapping another a little. Because of the ridges on the roof, you can just press the tape down a little, but be sure not to get a completely secure hold so that the body paint "oversprays" under the tape a little. Also because of that, you can use a straight piece of tape instead of trying to tear a piece of tape for the overspray look (I tried that before with less than successful results). The best part is that if you are careful with peeling off the tape, you can use the tape again for a similar size car, which helps when painting many cars in different colors. Good luck!
Awesome, thanks!

Well, I'm way too late to comment on all the pictures but you guys have all done some great work this weekend. Dave, the new bridges look really good. Jeffrey, does the KCS actually have a locomotive numbered 666? Seems kind of creepy if they do. :)

I was curious about the 666 too Jim and as Jeffrey said, it's there.

KCS #666

I started wondering about other lines and found #666 with CSX, EJ&E, and a few others as well.

Today I made the pop-out area on which my park scene will be built. I already have accessories for a park. I have a park assortment package that has mailboxes, fire hydrants, trash cans, park benches and a phone booth. I also have a picnic set that has two tables, a covered dining area, a barbeque pit and some steel trash cans. Lastly, I have a selection of playground equipment: A merry-go-round, a slide, see-saw and a swing set. The biggest thing in the park will be a 4-6-2 K4.

P1010053.jpg

P1010055.jpg

P1010057.jpg

Things are looking good this week.

Jeffrey, I always wondered about that back corner of yours. It sure seemed like a long stretch, I was just hoping you had bullet proof track back there.
Now with that pop-up, I think things will be alot easier to get to.

Here's my contribution.
I've started working on a scratch built highway overpass for my clubs layout.
This is the area where it will be located.
000_0066.jpg

000_0067.jpg

It's a road coming across the tracks, connecting to the sloping roadway on the right side.

I'm using a couple piers leftover from a Rix modern highway overpass(Josh you should be familiar with that one;) ). The decking is going to be all scratch built because I wanted to add an additional lane, Rix was only 2 lanes.Walther's overpass pix.
To add the extra lane I built to piers out of old paint brush handles. i wanted them to look a little more modern then the Rix piers, as if the were add in later on in history to widen the road. The engineers would use more modern materials and techniques to do this. Plus, I thought it would look COOL to have this variety.
000_0075.jpg

000_0078.jpg

000_0079.jpg

I think once I paint these up and weather them they'll look really neat.

This is the deck so far. The bottom side.
000_0076.jpg

I'll add posts as this thing progresses.

Carl and Jeffrey, I amazed that any railroad would number an engine 666, given the bad connotation that combination of numbers has for many people, apparently railroad crews included. :) They added a new phone prefix when I ived in California that was going to be 666. That lasted about a week before the phone company found another combinaton that worked. If 666 is considered bad in California, I can't imagine how bad it would be in the rest of the country.

Jeffrey, looks like the pop-up are will make a nice park. I don't know about the K-4 though. If it was my park, Id repaint it so it looked like it has either just been donated or rehabbed by some railfan group. I know the Pennsy always did a cosmetic restore on steam engines they donated for display.

Ron, those old paint brush handles will make great looking modern concrete piers when they are painted. Very original thinking. It is common to add new spans next older spans and one of the ways to tell which one is newer is to look at the pies, since the newer piers tend to be monolithic concrete instead of the tube type concrete piers. I'm kind of wondering about the height of the styrofoam section sticking from the road. If that's the actual height of the road, it looks like it may be a little low for train clearance.

Got a little more done to my first wood "crafstman" type kit this weekend. Now to lay the "stone" block foundation.

MVC-557F.jpg

MVC-558F.jpg

MVC-559F.jpg

I could have built 2 or 3 plastic kits by now!

Rotor

I started wondering about other lines and found #666 with CSX, EJ&E, and a few others as well.
BNSF's #666 was renumbered #599, not long after the merger, so Santa fe had a #666 for a time.

[...]I'm using a couple piers leftover from a Rix modern highway overpass(Josh you should be familiar with that one;) ). The decking is going to be all scratch built because I wanted to add an additional lane, Rix was only 2 lanes.[...]
Two narrow lanes might I add.

Lots of left overs though. I'm considering making some resin cast bridges for my future layout, and selling kits too. Seems like an un-tapped market.

I'm kind of wondering about the height of the styrofoam section sticking from the road. If that's the actual height of the road, it looks like it may be a little low for train clearance.

That foam piece was just for visualizing the road. The picture was taken before I had any deck built. I kept it there to show the other guys at the club what I was planning (very quick and easy... it was what was around at the time). The foam originally spanned across the whole track. It has since been remove. The deck will go from the edge of the layout to the blue foam pieces.

Jeffrey Wimberly:

What backdrop is that?
That was a scene I found somewhere on the net quite a few years ago. It's just a twelve foot repeating cell.

Jeffrey, I always wondered about that back corner of yours. It sure seemed like a long stretch, I was just hoping you had bullet proof track back there.
Now with that pop-up, I think things will be alot easier to get to.
The track back there is extremely bulletbroof. In thirteen years there have been only three derailments back there. It's always been easy to get to, just crawl under the layout and pop up through the hole in the middle (where the park will be).

Jeffrey, looks like the pop-up are will make a nice park. I don't know about the K-4 though. If it was my park, Id repaint it so it looked like it has either just been donated or rehabbed by some railfan group. I know the Pennsy always did a cosmetic restore on steam engines they donated for display.
It's been sitting there for a very long time.

Todays contribution to the thread.

P1010017-8.jpg

Sorry I'm so late this week. Having major computer problems. Darn thing will only run in safe mode. Anyway, made some progress on this CSX wreck this week.

CSXT6532aTorontoONTJul211994GaryRZu.jpg

100_2156.jpg

100_2157.jpg

Rotor, looks like you've made good progress on that wood building. At least you got all the openings cut out. :)

Ron, I kind of thought the foam was left to show the location of the bridge but just wanted to check. I'm going to be really interested to see how it turns out.

Jerome, did they graft that CSX painted section on to the rest of the locomotive as part of the wreck repair? That's one of the oddest ones I've seen yet.

Jim,

It looks like they replaced the long hood with another CSX unit, but if you look closely, it also has damage to the rear above the number boards. I very interesting unit, it was retired though. I've got the long hood in gray paint now, will paint that blue side sill stripe when I get home tonight.

CSXT6532bTorontoONTJul211994GaryRZu.jpg

Back