Weekend Photo Fun 11-14/11-17

bears

Hi all: Here's a whimsical photo from me this week.

P1020735-1.jpg

That happens all the time here in southren Oregon,people just keep building into there habatats.
JIM:mad:

I'll stick with them as SDP40F's. There were only 14 FP45's built starting in 1967. They went to the SF and Milwaukee. I don't think any went to Amtrak, which started in 1971.

That's true too... I think Athearn decided they looked similar enough to get 2 units out of the same shell. Actually probably three... I bet that's an F45 too.

It sure was nice having locomotives available for $20.00, but I certainly don't miss some of the shortcuts manufacturers used to take. I guess there are always trade-offs.

- Chris

Last week I posted a picture of a strip of mud at the foot of a wall, where I said I planned to plant weeds. The weeds are now in place. You can also see that the wall isn't finished: there's quite a story attached to installing it, which I'll explain some time when things are slow. I haven't placed the "concrete" cap on the wall yet, but there's a section of it ready to be glued down.

wallweedscqk7.jpg

Nice work everyone.
John what is the ground cover at the base of the wall?
I'm working on mocking up the next area on the layout. I like working on one small part before moving on.
IMG_0709.jpg

Ive been doing a repaint this week, an under used Vitrains Regional railways 37 is now well on its way to being a Railfreight redstripe, Seen here with a Bachmann Railfreight 37 that was the inspiration.

railfreightlogo2.jpg

railfreightlogo.jpg

railfreightlogo1.jpg

its not perfect but hopefully at first glance the repainted one didnt jump out as being a botch up.

The paint was brush applied
all the striping hand painted
large logo hand painted
railfright and overhead wire images created on paper and glued on
needs some numbers yet (cant paint them !) planning on 37 680

John
RJR

It sure was nice having locomotives available for $20.00, but I certainly don't miss some of the shortcuts manufacturers used to take. I guess there are always trade-offs.

- Chris
$20 is what I paid for these two plus some rolling stock (older freight cars) and a bunch of bits and pieces of other freight cars to add to the parts box.

Josh, dcc track voltage is actually 13v and the output functions on most decoder out put the track voltage, so 13v - 1.5v = 11.5v; 11.5/.015=767.
Try 767 ohm resistor to start and if it is too bright increase by 50 ohms, if it is too dull, decrease to 700 ohms.
Let me know how this works for ya. :cool:
I haven't used the DA-SR's yet and have been tempted to, most of the time I use TCS A6X's in the genesis units, with the exception of the units that come with the dcc-ready board built in, then I use the NCE D13SRJ 4 function.
The reason behind the A6X usage is that they have a built in voltage regulator and output 1.5v just for the Athearn bulbs. So all you need to do is solder the original 4 points for pickup, 3 points for forward and rear lights, and then 2 more points for the ditch lights, as the 3rd point is shared with the + from the forward and rear lights. I get mine from dccroundhouse.com for $22 @ plus shipping.
Nothing beats a free decoder. ;):D

Anyways, thanks for the info, I'll try a 750 ohm, 1/4 watt for each, its the closest I found while googling quickly.

Great stuff as usual folks!

I haven't had much time to work on the layout at all this week. Today I finally decided to spend some time down there so all the other projects will have to wait a day longer. I finished putting the final tortoise machine (for the time being at least) in place on the layout. This was another one of those "will not fit" locations. So I resorted to the old rail with piano wire soldered to it for the remote throwbar trick one last time:

TortiLogging3w.png

Here is a closup of where the rail meets the torti:

TortiLogging1w.png

Crude, but it works well. Topside looks like this after the install:

TortiLogging2w.png

I also primed and painted the track bumpers I put together last weekend in Batavia:

Bumpers01w.png

i just learned this week that walmart will stop developing film in 1 hour. I guess its CVS then...so no model fliks. I went down by the tilford yard with Jr. and caught some equipment i dont see often

sorry for the overcast photos..

S6300013.jpg

S6300019.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed some proper lighting in the train room today and I think it helps big time!!

First we have a quick shot over the industry to show better detail

then we have a few shots of a Mack R685ST hauling some stone for a a RR crossing project .This Old Mack is painted to match the truck my dad owned and operated around Chicago.

Then we see a IC 2981 shunting a coal car at the mine.

To nice to stay indoors today so went to them thar hills for a bit of nice clean fun, only buried the gun in the mud once, oops
pics002.jpg

pics001-1.jpg

To nice to stay indoors today so went to them thar hills for a bit of nice clean fun, only buried the gun in the mud once, oops
pics002.jpg

pics001-1.jpg

Steve Great Pic's! (EDIT) it was funny though!LOL's J/K

Is that an henlong tiger?and have you gone all metial on the gears and tracks?I am an tank nut allso,I have four of them.
JIM

Hey Jim Yes HL Tiger 1, was grey when i got it with the metal track and drive sprocket option. As you can see it's "Changed" lot's of battle damage and bit's knocked or blown off. It has 3-1 reduction metal gearboxes and metal rear idler wheels, El Mod sound blaster and control with turret control and 5" sub speaker under the turret, i had to bin the BB gun to fit it all in. My boys each have HL tanks which are, tiger 1 with plastic tracks and the snow leopard (Pershing) also on plastic tracks.
Out of intrest i have replaced the Tiger 1 sound with the King tiger sound package from the El Mod web site, it is very realistic, almost scary.

Back