Weekend foto fun 16-17-18... Almost time for turkey!

Chessie, I've got both the Bachmann and P2K GP-38's. They are both good engines and the Bachmann, at $35 with DCC was too good to pass up. The detail is pretty good compared to the P2K. The only thing it lacked was drop steps and MU cables. I don't need a sound card for this engine. It sounds like a diesel with no sound card! They both pull about the same but you know when the Bachmann is coming round the bend. :)

Jim , I have a few Bachmanns. 2 GP30, 1 GP35, 1 GP38, 3 GP40s, and a B30-7. They are good runners and aren't to loud, good pullers too..

Ray, "Whatchamacallit" and "Thingamabob" were common Ohio words too. No one in Alabama ever heard of them.

UP2CSX: Man, you need to get out and about more often if you believe that, but Alabamians my ask you which "whatchamacallit" or "thingamajig". Oh, I forgot that you live near Auburn country.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
UP2CSX: Man, you need to get out and about more often if you believe that, but Alabamians my ask you which "whatchamacallit" or "thingamajig". Oh, I forgot that you live near Auburn country.:D

Don't forget "doohickey"! :D

Now you've all made Mabel feel bad for her choice of couch. :mad: In Alabama, couches like that are the height of fashion. It's still somewhere about 1975 here, both on my layout and in real life.:eek:

Jim;

You'd be surprised at the number of people that live outside of the South who think we still live in the "horse and buggy" age.

We hosted the 1988 NMRA National Convention here in Birmingham and we even got calls from "Yankees" who actually asked if we had indoor bathrooms and at least handheld fans for cooling. One even asked if electric power was available in the motels or did he need to bring his battery powered TV!:D

Its interesting to note that the week of the convention, states like Minn. Wis, Ill, Ind, Oh, and Pa was under a heat wave with temps over 100. The high for the week here was 85.

Jim , I have a few Bachmanns. 2 GP30, 1 GP35, 1 GP38, 3 GP40s, and a B30-7. They are good runners and aren't to loud, good pullers too..
I have a few Bachmann diesels myself. 1 GP35, 1 GP50, 2 GP40's (one of which is 30 years old) and 4 FT's. I also have 2 Bachmann steamers. A 4-6-0 Hall Class which can pull 3 freight cars at best and a UP 0-6-0 grayhound.

I have done a track testing car this week, it's based loosley on a Network Rail test train, these are converted passenger carriages which carry sophisticated track geometery and ultrasonic rail testing equipment. it was made from a spare passenger carriage same as the grey one next to it, i blanked of the windows with styrene, filled it and painted it up, got to paint the roof and ends yet and got to add decals yet and some other thingymabobs and whatsits. these run at upto 125MPH during testing

below is a similar coach
Picture of test train

10-08-07080.jpg

10-08-07083.jpg

10-08-07082.jpg

Hate to tell you guys but I think those them phrases are pretty much Americanized !!!! Here's one for you gription

Hello,
Here is a DRGW wreckmaster flat I have been working on as time allows. I am just getting my photobucket skills figured out so be patient.

th_HPIM1150.jpg

th_HPIM11472.jpg

th_HPIM1148.jpg

Do yuall measure distance by milage or time? Not sure if it's a Hoosier thing or not but we go by time, as in , How far is it to Indanapolis? Oh it's bout a 2 1/2 hour drive..:D instead of saying it's bout 200 miles.. We also use the saying Katykorner..

Ray, "Whatchamacallit" and "Thingamabob" were common Ohio words too. No one in Alabama ever heard of them. Did you do your backdrop on masonite? The trees looks good, as do the clouds. I'm kind of kicking myself for not painting my own backdrop now. Except for the city scenes, I can do a way better job of painting hills, sky, and clouds than Walthers did. Now I'm having to blend in clouds and sky I'm repainting to the existing Wathers backdrop.

Yes, the backdrop was done on 1/8" tempered Masonite from a local lumber yard (actually in Seneca Falls - the real one not Selectors. ;) ;) ) Actually painting the "country" backdrop is quite easy (or I wouldn't have attempted it). The clouds are created with three colors of flat spray paints. I use cans of white, light gray, and ordinary gray primer. I also used the New London Industries stencils. Trees are done by stippling on several different colors of green latex paint using 1" to 2" brushes. I bought a Forest Green and a light green. I make several different shades by mixing the two. If I was modeling a major city or the desert and mountains of the west, I probably would have bought premade backdrops. But here in the Finger Lakes all we got is trees and sky everywhere you look.........

Do yuall measure distance by milage or time? Not sure if it's a Hoosier thing or not but we go by time, as in , How far is it to Indanapolis? Oh it's bout a 2 1/2 hour drive..:D instead of saying it's bout 200 miles.. We also use the saying Katykorner..

To paraphrase Jeff Foxworthy....

You might be from Central New York if you measure distance by time. "How far is it from Geneva to Rochester?" "Oh, about 50 minutes."

(You also might be from Central NY if your favorite season is Winter 'cause it's easier to drive. All the potholes are filled with snow!)

You actually know your in New England when you stop and ask somebody, "Do you know how to get to __________?" and the only thing the other person says is "yup".

Now listen, my fellow Alabamians, you're supposed to agree with me that we're way behind the times down here. We wouldn't want any more Yankees finding out how nice it is in Alabama and driving up our prices, would we? :) And you're right, Grande man, some of things we are "behind" in are precisely why I like Alabama compared to California.

Rex, you're right, my wife has heard all those terms too so I guess they have become part of common English. I'm surprised they don't have a "Thingamabob" aisle at Walmart since that's what I'm always there to get.

Ray, you've got a talent for backdrops, that's for sure. I've been in Vermont asking for directions and it too me three questions to get beyond "Yup". :) And people think that Southerner's talk slow!

Back