Weathering with oil paint

train weather 2.jpg

I have been working with oil paints and I really like how well the work.

I have been doing this also and so far have liked how well what I've done has turned out! Are you using Terpenoid as the thinning agent to pull down the rust streaks?

Nice looking weathering job. How did you do the streaking from the rusted areas? Please share your tips.

Thanks.

Greg

Not to abscond with this thread; however, I will explain how I do it. I use a very small brush to apply random small spots of the oil paint and use Burnt Sienna and Burnt Umber as the colors. Then I use Turpenoid on a wider brush to brush in downward strokes from the spots of paint. I use turpenoid as it is less harsh on plastics, per the person who taught me how to do this. I think the video I watched on it was on What's neat in model railroading from a few months ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to abscond with this thread; however, I will explain how I do it. I use a very small brush to apply random small spots of the oil paint and use Burnt Sienna and Burnt Umber as the colors. Then I use Turpenoid on a wider brush to brush in downward strokes from the spots of paint. I use turpenoid as it is less harsh on plastics, per the person who taught me how to do this. I think the video I watched on it was on What's neat in model railroading from a few months ago.

I love that channel, I don't do it exactly the same as they show in there video. I like to dry brush the streaks. then add another streak layer on after the first one drys. I will dip my brush in mineral spirits then dab it on a paper towel to get some of it off, you don't want to much on it. I then brush the sides of the streaks to narrow and alter them as needed..

Mark: Do you allow the first rust spots to dry before doing the streaking?

Greg

No, I do not let it dry. Oil paints take forever to dry. I put the spots of rust on with a small brush. If I want a larger spot, I put this on with the smaller brush, when I think what I have might look o.k., then I grab the wider brush, dip it in my Turpenoid and brush downward. I think (not sure about this) if you wait until the oil paint dries, you would not be able to pull down the streaks. I have only done 5-6 cars using this method, so am no expert. I haven't attempted this on a Tuscan, Box Car Red; or, Mineral Red car as I don't know if there would be enough contrast for the rust streaks to show. The January 2019 What's Neat in Model Railroading shows Ken Patterson's methods for applying oils for weathering

Thanks for the suggestions and Mark the Ken Patterson video is excellent. Nice layout as well.

Where can I purchase the Winsor & Newton products?

Thanks again.

Windsor & Newton paints are also available from Amazon, They may also be available from Hobby Lobby or some such other.

I am using Grumbacher's oil paints. Before I weather my cars, I run them extensively to make sure they function properly. I try not to handle a car much after I have completed weathering. So, the fact that the oil paint hasn't dried when I'm done weathering it, makes little difference. True Oil Paints may be easier to find, if you can't locate a source for Windsor & Newton water Based Oils. True Oil Paints are the only paints used by any of the videos I've seen.

I'm not saying I'm not intrigued with Hobbytronic's method with water based Oil Paints, I just have two tubes of Oil Paint I would need to use up, before I try it!

Another great video on Weathering Freight cars with various types of Paints is in the February of 2018.
This is done by a Jason Quinn and is the second segment of the video. Jason shows how to weather more modern galvanized box car roofs. He starts with washes, then adds Acrylic paints around the edges of the panels. He then finishes with Oil Paints inside the dried acrylic and then floats on some thinner to get the oils to run. It is an interesting process that will give you a show quality weathered roof on a box car and it is a fairly time consuming process!

I like to get things done a lot quicker; but, if I was going to present a car at an NMRA event, this might be the process to use to get a show quality freight car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg, Your video shows the work of a real artist. At this point in my life I don't know that I particularly have time for all the processes he uses; but, the first video was very informative and I can see I need more oil paints! I also need to watch Videos two and three. Thanks for sharing!

Something of interest, is the fact that only three people have shown interest in these videos: Hobbytronics, Greg@mnrr and myself. Is this the sum total of the people who think weathering is important to the hobby? If you watch videos of people running trains, it might appear so.

This afternoon I started weathering a ACL box car that's a cream color with red doors. I first wiped the car body with a make applicator soaked with alcohol to clean the surface. I then used a wash of thinned Burnt Umber oil paint and brushed the thinned oil up and down the car body and did the roof and sends as well.

The car already looks a bit weathered.

I'm letting the wash dry over night. Then I'll seal the job with DullKote and let the sealer dry. I'll follow up with small spots of rust and then streak the spots down the car body sides. I'll do some heavier spots of rust at the seam of the car body where the sides meets the roof top.

Then another coat of DullKote.

The roof top I'll do like in the U Tube using a water soluble paint on the roof followed by an rust colored oil paint and a wash of thinner to spread the rust. Then a coat of DullKote.

I finish using a air brushing of the lower car body with "Dirt" and seal with DullKote.

The trucks will be weathered as well.

Keep you posted.

Greg

Are you planing on sleeping with the car, Greg? Sounds like you'll be encrusting the car with plenty of Dull Coat. If I even use Dull Coat, it's generally to seal in weathering powders; but, even then I may not use it, as I really don't need to touch my cars, again. We all have our own ways of doing things and I hope you can see that I'm really just funnin' you!

Back