weathering with chalk???

alcphoto

I am new to this and I tried to use chalk and it does not stick. Do I need to do something with the car first?

Hi! Where you from?

I don't understand your question. What do you mean "it won't stick"??

Any chalks, whatever the type, will "stick" somewhat to a piece of plastic (car). Some better then others.

If you are going that route, use pastels, non-oil based. The oil will show up on the model, and look bad. You will also want to put some sealer after you are done weathering, otherwise your fingerprints will show up, and also wear off the work you've done. The sealer can be purchased in the same area as the pastels.

chalk

I was using artist pastels and they would not stick at all to the cars. It would brush off leavig almost nothing. I am new here from northeast ohio

Once you get the chalks on, you need to protect them with an overspray of a matte finish clear coating like Dullcote or Krylon Matte Finish Spray. You will have to experiment as the spray will make your weathering attempst look lighter. Just add more and spray again. Artist's chalks like the kind you can buy at craft stores work very well for weathering use.

I have had good results with artists pastels as well as special weathering powders available from hobby suppliers. I really like the powders from Sierra Scale Models. They seem to stick much better than pastels and are very reasonable. Around $6.00 a set I believe. Just rub them on and seal them. If they aren't dark enough put on another coat till you have the effect you want. I have also heard very good things about AIM weathering powders as well, but can't speak from experience as I haven't used them myself. Also if you give the car a coat of dullcoat, and let that dry, before you apply the chalk, it will stick better. The dullcoat when dry has a slightly rough surface for the powder to stick to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back