Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

Question for the weathering pros here. I see some hoppers or other cars with those yellow reflecting stripes. for what are those? And i see there are not on all cars, why? and where can i order them? :D thnx for your explanation.

Question for the weathering pros here. I see some hoppers or other cars with those yellow reflecting stripes. for what are those? And i see there are not on all cars, why? and where can i order them? :D thnx for your explanation.
Safety striping mandated by Governmental overlook agencies.

After a certain date, all US rolling stock had to have stripes added when the cars were built. If the cars were already on the rails they had to be added after certain maintenance was done like re-painting. I want to say 1995 but dictating this while driving. I will find that date when I get home.

Makes the rail cars more visible at night for vehicular traffic at rail crossings

Safety striping mandated by Governmental overlook agencies.

After a certain date, all US rolling stock had to have stripes added when the cars were built. If the cars were already on the rails they had to be added after certain maintenance was done like re-painting. I want to say 1995 but dictating this while driving. I will find that date when I get home.

Makes the rail cars more visible at night for vehicular traffic at rail crossings
Ya, Dad had the dubious distinction of actually hitting a flatcar that was across the road. No RR signs, no lights, no warnings and because it was somewhat in the middle of a road corner, pickup headlights did not show anything until 'bang'. Alcohol was a factor on his part and I am not sure the reflectors would have made a difference, but did not matter. GN at the time paid for a new truck, some $$$ for his time instead of letting it go to court; 1967ish.

Later

Depending on the year your modeling, you can add them to your freight cars that dont already have them. I have done a ton of my own.

I use these. They are just peel and stick. They are super inexpensive, and one card will do 35 or so cars. Nice thing is, these are actually reflective. Some of the MFRs pad printed stripping doesn't reflect like they should. These defiantly do!

Some of the MFRs pad printed stripping doesn't reflect like they should. These defiantly do!

Defiantly reflective, huh?

“I’m reflective, dammit!!”
“I’m flashy and shiny and you clowns can’t do JACK about it!!!”
“Yeah, I make things all bright at night, try to stop me!!!”

Nope, I don’t get it.

Depending on the year your modeling, you can add them to your freight cars that dont already have them. I have done a ton of my own.

I use these. They are just peel and stick. They are super inexpensive, and one card will do 35 or so cars. Nice thing is, these are actually reflective. Some of the MFRs pad printed stripping doesn't reflect like they should. These defiantly do!

2005 was the year safety stripes were mandated

Yep I use those too. They are nice. Still have quite a few cars to do though. They reflect nicely unlike others.

I also use the Smokehouse safety stripes. Finished this the other day. There are 7 more of the ScaleTrain Operator Gunderson 5188cf CMO covered hoppers to do.
IMG_5597.jpeg

I have tried other brands and after a matte clear finish they are still reflective but less bright looking.

Wow 100 pages. When I started in 2/2022 I figured 2-3 pages and we’d be done. So this is way beyond any expectations and I want to thank anyone who has participated, commented or just read the information. At the beginning of 2024 on page 85 I thought the tread had run its course. 15 pages and 5 months later, it has not. THANK YOU, THANK YOU

If your are not having fun, you are doing it wrong

Last edited:
I have more gondolas to work on but the prototypes are heavily used but not abused with dings, dents and rust.

It depends on the era and where they were used. I grew up in Pittsburgh. The scrap gons at the mill were totally beat to death. Dinged, dented, warped. But that was in the 70’s and they weren’t in interchange service.

Modern era stuff looks much better.

It depends on the era and where they were used. I grew up in Pittsburgh. The scrap gons at the mill were totally beat to death. Dinged, dented, warped. But that was in the 70’s and they weren’t in interchange service.

Modern era stuff looks much better.
For sure! I have a buddy who 3d parts for Steel Mills and his personal fleet of mill gondolas are just awesomely beat to death as they are not in interchange service. He models USS South Works in 1974 Chicago. Long gone but his modeling brings back the memories

Wow 100 pages. When I started in 2/2022 I figured 2-3 pages and we’d be done. So this is way beyond any expectations and I want to thank anyone who has participated, commented or just read the information. At the beginning of 2024 on page 85 I thought the tread had run its course. 15 pages and 5 months later, it has not. THANK YOU, THANK YOU

If your are not having fun, you are doing it wrong
Well it will continue, I just acquired 18 Intermountain CSX 4750 grain cars. It'll be a slow process I don't do much in the summer unless it's a rainy day. I spend most of my time outside enjoying the warm temps. I also need to check to make sure I don't have any doubles.
I may have a line on some Walthers depressed center flat cars, 2 truck and 4 truck.

As most of you know I am a huge fan of Boomer Diorama on YouTube. He released a new weathering tutorial a couple days ago. He goes over many of his ideas and techniques. I watched it in the car twice already today on the long 5 hour drive. Personally it’s a great review for me and a nice tutorial for beginning and semi-beginners. Usually his YouTube content is under 20 minutes but this one is over 60. I believe it’s worth it.

Weathering these old timers has finally been completed. All the photographs of freight cars of this era, taken contemporarily, show little weathering. My layout is 1900-1940 so I am not wrecking these but trying to make them realistic. Several posts back I have photos of the early part of the process. Last night I took a few hours and added a white wash and some brown wash around the edges.

apply wash 1.JPG

I previously sprayed them with a clear coat. Now i am applying a wash of water and alcohol with some white paint added. Also using some brown acrylic wash with a separate smaller brush. I am also trying to remove any bubble that shows up before they dry, to prevent those sharp edges

old timers completed.JPG

Above I have everything put together and on the track. I believe they are adequately dulled down , in other words I am ok with them. I will consider these "done"

weathered old timers.JPG

There is subtle brown lowlights towards the bottom of the cars and around the doors. Not easy to pick out but I believe they add some realism in my mind. All of these are Roundhouse cars except the Northern Pacific one in the center is Athearn, I believe.

Tom - I want to thank you for the idea of the assembly line method. Next time I do weathering it will be 6 cars at a time again!

Dave LASM

Attachments

• assembly line weathering.JPG
    assembly line weathering.JPG
    419.4 KB · Views: 1
Weathering these old timers has finally been completed. All the photographs of freight cars of this era, taken contemporarily, show little weathering. My layout is 1900-1940 so I am not wrecking these but trying to make them realistic. Several posts back I have photos of the early part of the process. Last night I took a few hours and added a white wash and some brown wash around the edges.

View attachment 187747

I previously sprayed them with a clear coat. Now i am applying a wash of water and alcohol with some white paint added. Also using some brown acrylic wash with a separate smaller brush. I am also trying to remove any bubble that shows up before they dry, to prevent those sharp edges

View attachment 187749

Above I have everything put together and on the track. I believe they are adequately dulled down , in other words I am ok with them. I will consider these "done"

View attachment 187750

There is subtle brown lowlights towards the bottom of the cars and around the doors. Not easy to pick out but I believe they add some realism in my mind. All of these are Roundhouse cars except the Northern Pacific one in the center is Athearn, I believe.

Tom - I want to thank you for the idea of the assembly line method. Next time I do weathering it will be 6 cars at a time again!

Dave LASM
You’re welcome but of course it’s not an original idea from me. But it works fairly well for me and glad it’s being tried by you.

The cars look good. Used but not abused and with era appropriate weathering.

Last edited:

Back