Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

Man.... I don't know how you do it, that's a lot to take on and just keep going and going... and to receive stuff do the work and then ship it out and to receive more and on and on....
I'm getting burned out just watching ya!
I need a break just after doing one car or loco myself.
Great work Tom!

Z
Z

I have suffered burn out in the past and I’m approaching it now. I walk away when the mood isn’t there, but burn out is entirely different. When I don’t even want to go into the train room or studio, it’s time to really wander away.

I have found that just running trains or doing online retail therapy does help but not as much as it used to…

Golf trips are very beneficial to me to keep the modeling burn out away.

As much as I showed yesterday, none of that was hard or taxing. It’s part of the process. It’s not creative. I like to batch things not only for efficiency but clarity of what’s going on. It’s unusual that I left my 2 CMO covered hoppers out of the clean and clear coat mix yesterday. Normally 2 more cars to be cleaned and clear coated are no big deal but when I realized later that I DIDN'T WANT to pull them off the shelf, it hit me. Walk away time is coming.

I’m not pushing through things yet. When I feel that way I do stop.

None of those models shown on 4/6 are due in April but the owners will accept them whenever they are done. Many, ok all the ScaleTrain reefers but that 1 are done. They are commissions done ahead of schedule but most will not be accepted before 5/15 when they were promised. I am ahead on the reefers because my January/February golf trip got shortened when I re-injured my right knee and had to come home 3 weeks early.

My order of weathering process is:

1. regular client commissions
2. 1 diesel commission per week
3. new client freight car commissions
4. structure commissions
5. my own stuff plus a Ca. client stuff I use for fillins

My lead times are 6 weeks for freight cars, 8 weeks for diesels and structures are per quote but usually within 120 days I am not accepting new structure business for the balance of 2024, and maybe I am done. I have a 3 piece warehouse I am currently working on that is 6” at its widest and 68” long. I usually weather on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays if I’m on schedule and Terry the Traveler is home. If she’s not home, like now, I’ll find my way to the weathering bench but the limit is still no more than 3 sessions of 2 hours with at least 90 minutes in between.

I’ll continue until the enjoyment is gone

Z

I have suffered burn out in the past and I’m approaching it now. I walk away when the mood isn’t there, but burn out is entirely different. When I don’t even want to go into the train room or studio, it’s time to really wander away.

I have found that just running trains or doing online retail therapy does help but not as much as it used to…

Golf trips are very beneficial to me to keep the modeling burn out away.

As much as I showed yesterday, none of that was hard or taxing. It’s part of the process. It’s not creative. I like to batch things not only for efficiency but clarity of what’s going on. It’s unusual that I left my 2 CMO covered hoppers out of the clean and clear coat mix yesterday. Normally 2 more cars to be cleaned and clear coated are no big deal but when I realized later that I DIDN'T WANT to pull them off the shelf, it hit me. Walk away time is coming.

I’m not pushing through things yet. When I feel that way I do stop.

None of those models shown on 4/6 are due in April but the owners will accept them whenever they are done. Many, ok all the ScaleTrain reefers but that 1 are done. They are commissions done ahead of schedule but most will not be accepted before 5/15 when they were promised. I am ahead on the reefers because my January/February golf trip got shortened when I re-injured my right knee and had to come home 3 weeks early.

My order of weathering process is:

1. regular client commissions
2. 1 diesel commission per week
3. new client freight car commissions
4. structure commissions
5. my own stuff plus a Ca. client stuff I use for fillins

My lead times are 6 weeks for freight cars, 8 weeks for diesels and structures are per quote but usually within 120 days I am not accepting new structure business for the balance of 2024, and maybe I am done. I have a 3 piece warehouse I am currently working on that is 6” at its widest and 68” long. I usually weather on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays if I’m on schedule and Terry the Traveler is home. If she’s not home, like now, I’ll find my way to the weathering bench but the limit is still no more than 3 sessions of 2 hours with at least 90 minutes in between.

I’ll continue until the enjoyment is gone

Yeah you have to be careful that you don't loose your hobby to becoming a job that you don't enjoy anymore.
Man.... golf season is already here again too, looking forward to getting out with the guys!

Z

Since Covid I have not watched golf on TV but started playing again.

I live in the southeast, about 45 miutes from where a REALLY BIG golf tournament is going on this week. A MAJOR one. Ya oughter git yaseff down hyere’s to watch in person so’s to git yaseff a break from weatherin’ cars and sech, and from that thar mizzable Wiscosin weathuh!

Of course , you might have to weather cars for a year solid to pay for a ticket.

I live in the southeast, about 45 miutes from where a REALLY BIG golf tournament is going on this week. A MAJOR one. Ya oughter git yaseff down hyere’s to watch in person so’s to git yaseff a break from weatherin’ cars and sech, and from that thar mizzable Wiscosin weathuh!

Of course , you might have to weather cars for a year solid to pay for a ticket.
The Masters was the final big 4 Major tournaments on my wish list to see. Applied for tickets starting in the 1970’s. Went finally in 2018 and again in 2019. The most fun Major golf tournament for me was the 2009 Open Championship at Turnberry on Saturday when Tom Watson had his final real chance to win as the oldest. He lost in a playoff on Sunday

The saddest golf event in person for me was the Ryder Cup at Medinah in 2012 when the US team literally choked before our eyes. From roars all day to deathly silence at the end of the day. But damn, the food was awesome

IMG_5393.jpeg
IMG_5392.jpeg
IMG_5391.jpeg
IMG_5390.jpeg
IMG_5388.jpeg
IMG_5387.jpeg
IMG_5386.jpeg
IMG_5385.jpeg
IMG_5384.jpeg
Finished up yesterday. I should have a response this afternoon. If it’s positive I will do final clear coat on Wednesday

There are 2 posts on page 94 and at the end of page 95

Yes, Tom…if you click in the “view attachment” link where I quote your post, you’ll see it is from the page 94 post. That post contains both the first reference to, and first photo of, that car. Yet it has the look of light weathering already having been started, somewhat like Athearn’s “Primed for Grime” offerings; thus, my inquiry.

Last edited:
Yes, Tom…if you click in the “view attachment” link where I quote your post, you’ll see it is from the page 94 post. That post contains both the first reference to, and first photo of, that car. Yet it has the look of light weathering already having been started, somewhat like Athearn’s “Primed for Grime” offerings; thus, my inquiry.
I have it packaged up but I will look at the box and see what it says. I know for sure it’s an Athearn but unaware of what series

I have it packaged up but I will look at the box and see what it says. I know for sure it’s an Athearn but unaware of what series

The car has an interesting look - bright paint for the rail box lettering ang others (like letter decals or paint peeled off on a prototype, leaving a fresher body color paint underneath, and the majority of body colored paint looking like it had seen the elements - a difficult look for a modeler to achieve.

Or does Railbox deliver them with that yellow-on-yellow two tone look?

The car has an interesting look - bright paint for the rail box lettering ang others (like letter decals or paint peeled off on a prototype, leaving a fresher body color paint underneath, and the majority of body colored paint looking like it had seen the elements - a difficult look for a modeler to achieve.

Or does Railbox deliver them with that yellow-on-yellow two tone look?

I would agree with that. Funny though, I didn’t realize it was a factory fade. I faded it my way on the top of the factoryView attachment 186117View attachment 186116

I figured the two-tone bright lettering look would be too “avant garde” for a raildoad car builder to do, so I figured it was a weathering effect - I see it mainly on box trucks & 18-wheeler trailers. Old ones that get sold off to a second or third owner, and have the original lettering pulled.

After your posts piqued my interest, I looked up a YouTube video of a guy reviewing these: At the time of the guy’s review, Athearn made three road numbers of these in the primed for grime series:

One with all the “Railbox”letter decals having aged and gone away
One with the original “X” remaining
One with a replacement “x,” considerably smaller than the original.

I think I read some time back that the Primed for Grime series was intended to be both a starting base for additional weathering like you did, and to be suitable for use as-is for a mildly aged look.

i have a question for all the weathering pros. iam following FOS Youtube channel, and some others. when it comes to weathering there is a technique or something what i dont know.

if a wash gets applyed to the surface, sometimes they are using something to "earease" some parts of the wash? Its i guess a liquid, but what liquid?

I hope you know what i mean and hopefully can help :)

cheers

Back