Weathering Diesels

Excellent works of art, guys. Do you airbrush, use chalks, dry brush or a little of all three and more? I've always weather my stuff with chalks and had nice results, but WOW I really like your work.

I use mostly chalks with some dry brushing and a little air brush work for the underframe. It almost always takes all three in some combination to get the right look. Try different combinations on some old rolling stock and see what works best.

Engines look great.... I am attemping weather cars first. I have used AIM Powders along with chalk. what do you use to seal after you apply the chalk? Have tried to use Testors Dullcote, but after it dries it looks all spotty. Thank you

Doug

Dullcoat from a can always came out spotty for me as well. I think it is because it is either not heavy enough or not thin enough or not mixed well enough. To fix it, I got some dullcoat in a jar and a can of laquer thinner and have been spraying it with my airbrush. I never get spots now.

Jerome.. I have a bottle of it now. I used it lastnight but didn't seal it yet. after I posted this I was at lhs lady there told me to try Fixatif by Krylon. Won't turn out spotty like dulecote does.

Thanks Paul i'll try that also

Doug

Doug, I have 4 different colors of the washes that I use. Like Paul suggested, spray your dull-coat through an airbrush. I use a 50/50 mix of it. If your using cans, it is probably coming out too fast, that and the powders don't really have anything to stick to when put on dry. This engine was done entirely with washes.

100_2561.jpg

i have weathered only one of my engines so far and i wasnt really pleased with the results. i sticking to weathering junk rolling stock to build up my skills before i attemt to ruin another engine. i am curious to know (if anyone is willing to share) how you get the fuel spill effect on the tank. is that some kind oil or black paint - or black oil paint?

Depends on what color your fuel tank is.... Black or dark colored fuel tanks are easy. I use some high gloss paint and paint the spill down the filler pipe and tank AFTER the engine has been weathered. The fuel is oily so it looks glossy and the longer it sits on the tank, the more the oil builds up with dust and grime. You can also dab some weathering powder in the high gloss before it dries to look like the oil has collected some dirt and grime.

Light color tanks I use black paint, dab my thin brush in the paint, and then fill the paintbrush with thinner. Then dab it on the tank and filler. Get just enough black on there to notice and the add thinner to make it run as desired. If you don't like it, just use a bruch full of thinner and wipe it off to start over. Just remember to have clear coted your weathering or the thinner will eat off the weathering job.

Don't forget to use the same process on modern locomitves where the pop off valve is at the end of the main resivor. There is always a build up there fom the wet air being blown out onto the top of the fuel tank.

I like those light weathering jobs, MLW. That used to be the most common type of weathering when the railroads ran their engines through the wash rack. The body would get fairly clean but they'd never get all the crud and dirt off the underframe and trucks. Now, I don't think many engines see a wash rack and it's just run 'em until the wheels fall off. :(

My meager attempts so far are more of a combo type between heavy and light---I can't even claim medium in these cases---I think I'm trying to go for what was occuring in the 70's/80's when a lot of branchlines were getting chopped and locos & rolling stock were not so well looked after---some still did try to keep them clean but---

In the case of RS2's where else would one find oil spills and such?

Back