Weather Simulator

slopes09

Alright, so I today I got bored and decided to create a function/program on Matlab (expensive custom math function program, cheap only if you're in college and have a University software store) and decided to create a function to simulate weather during an operating session using some of the lessons in my Computer Science 101 class.

I won't delve into the details of the program, but pretty much when the function/program is called, it generates an extremely random weather condition, such as sunny, cloudy, thunderstorms, etc. Before anyone asks me for a copy of the program, it can't be run unless you have Matlab. Once I have more experience with C++, I'll write up the program in that, though I should add, anyone with basic Computer Programming Skills should be able to make a similar program.

Anyways, I told a co-worker and then someone in my model railroad club about the program, and both came up with the same idea separately. What if you could sync the program with lights and sound on a layout in order to actually simulate weather conditions? So, for example, when the function generates thunderstorm, the lights would dim, rain would be heard over the speakers, and random thunderclaps, maybe a strobe light would go off. Has anyone ever done anything like this before?

Well if its running off of a computer you can make it simulate anything. You can even (with enough time) simulate wheel slippage through DCC... Skip the strobe though, little excessive, just use a simple flash bulb.

Wiring the the lighting will be the larger issue, sound is not hard, they make computer based speakers. :p

How about a sprinkler system to go along with the rain sound. :D

Interesting idea though I wonder what the MR club will think of the effects simulation keep us posted on their comments please.

Cheers

This has been done at a museum layout that I visited. I can't for the life of me remember where but the computer control did a 24 hour day every 15 minutes, from dawn to dark, along with weather, traffic noise, birds, and all kinds of stuff. This was about 10 years ago and I'm sure it was ahigh dollar system then. Probably wouldn't cost as much now but I'm sure it still wouldn't be cheap to tie everything together.

I think the local garden railway club has one. ;)

As jim mentioned, I seem to recall hearing about one of those somewhere. They dim the lights for a thunderstorm, do a bit of rumbling through a speaker system, a few flashes from a strobe for lightening, works pretty well. Too bad you can't easily simulate the glossy wet look right after a rain (you could do it of course, but it would always be wet then)

Funny, I've heard of quite a few modelers who model snow scenes, but I've never even heard of a rainy scene. The closest thing I've ever read was how to model a dirt road with ruts in it.

Maybe I'm on to something. Living in Seattle, I wouldn't have to go far for inspiration...

Back