Water tower questions...

SLSF1

I had a water tower on my layout. I removed it from the layout so I could have easier access to replace a turnout on which one of the switch point rails snapped off. Sadly, while it was off the layout a friend who was visiting accidentally knocked it off the table it was sitting on. It was badly damaged, and attempts at repair haven't gone well. I'm considering doing a quick, easy replacement using a Walthers built up city water tower (Walthers 933-2826). The Walthers tower comes assembled and mounted on a plastic base. Would it be feasible to cut base loose from the simulated concrete base pads that the tower legs are mounted to, and discard the rest of the flat base? Will the tower be stable enough to stand well on the layout. I don't really care for the square plastic base, and would like do away with it if I can without ruining the model. All input will be appreciated. Thank you!

I looked at a picture of the tower and the base doesn't seem that thick but it looks easy enough to cut off. I'd cut around the raised bases for the legs rather than across that way they will still be level with each other.

I looked at a picture of the tower and the base doesn't seem that thick but it looks easy enough to cut off. I'd cut around the raised bases for the legs rather than across that way they will still be level with each other.
That's what I had in mind. Cut around the raised bases that the legs attach to, and also around the base of the pipe that comes out of the bottom of the tank.

A word of advice: don't. I have that tower. Unless their engineering and adhesives have improved drastically, those thin wire braces will all pop off when you free even one of those legs at the base. Ask me how I know. No, really, go ahead.....ask me....

A word of advice: don't. I have that tower. Unless their engineering and adhesives have improved drastically, those thin wire braces will all pop off when you free even one of those legs at the base. Ask me how I know. No, really, go ahead.....ask me....
I'm guessing that when you tried removing the base the whole structure came unwound like a coiled spring turned loose. Sorry it didn't work out for you. I'm also considering placing a different type of structure where the water has been.

Back