Warning about Intermountain replacement parts

MikeOwnby

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. I purchased a couple of N-scale reefers that had defective trucks and rather than return them to Modeltrainstuff I decided to just see if Intermountain would send me the replacement parts. They said they would, and so I just waited for that. After a couple weeks (they did say there'd be a small delay) the parts department then contacted me and said they were preparing to send the parts. Okay.

Well, now it's been two months, my opportunity to return the defective equipment to Modeltrainstuff is long gone, and still not a single part or word from Intermountain. Cue me now having to spend money to replace the trucks on my own. While it's not going to break the bank, they also aren't free by any means and it just shouldn't happen.

So the moral of the story, kids, is if you get a defective piece of equipment from Intermountain, RETURN IT!!!! Don't trust them AT ALL to send you replacement parts. They just don't do it. I don't like having to make the store I bought it from deal with the manufacturer's defects, and I always try to get the manufacturer to repair it instead, but that's apparently just a waste of time with Intermountain. I can't imagine that I personally will buy their stuff again after this, but if you do just be aware of this experience if you do get a defective unit.

I've had parts show up months later from Intermountain........they are sometimes slow, but they've always come thru for me. Usually they go above and beyond, sending multiple spares, and frequently to fix things that weren't their fault. I've only had to contact them 4 times, but three of the times I contacted them looking to BUY replacements for things I had broken or lost........they sent the parts free of charge and multiple sets of the item. I know it's annoying to have to wait for parts, but the only manufacturer who has been better than Intermountain is Atlas for me.

I've had parts show up months later from Intermountain........they are sometimes slow, but they've always come thru for me. Usually they go above and beyond, sending multiple spares, and frequently to fix things that weren't their fault. I've only had to contact them 4 times, but three of the times I contacted them looking to BUY replacements for things I had broken or lost........they sent the parts free of charge and multiple sets of the item. I know it's annoying to have to wait for parts, but the only manufacturer who has been better than Intermountain is Atlas for me.

I kinda get where you're coming from, but if it takes two months to get the parts, they might as well not send them. It's absolutely ridiculous to have to wait that long to use something I've spent my money on, and there's no valid reason for it to take that long. I'd be willing to bet the delay is actually intentional to discourage people from requesting parts. I've not had any problems with Kato, Atlas, Bowser, Digitrax...everybody responds quickly. There's just no excuse for this much of a delay. I'm glad you got extra parts, but really why? I don't need *extra* parts, I just need the parts that I was promised. Sending out extras or sending out free parts that people asked to buy actually seems like a ridiculous way to do business.

Anyway, last I'll say about it. I just wanted people to be aware of what they were in for if they tried to get parts from Intermountain.

PS - This isn't the first time this has happened. I tried to get some locomotive parts about a year ago, talked to a guy on the phone twice. Was promised a call back both times. A year later I'm still waiting and have since thrown the locomotive shell in the trash and replaced it with an Atlas body. I'm glad some people aren't getting screwed by Intermountain, but "fool me twice..." ya know? I'm done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent back the same heritage unit 3 times for the same problem every time. It comes back says fixed and passed QA. They did pay for all the shipping but I had to go to the post office every time.

Mike,

I agree with you 100% on this. There is no excuse OR reason for it to take so long to send out parts or orders in general. This business ethic (or lack of it) is not confined to Intermountain either, there are a lot of companies that are (in my opinion) lazy when it comes to shipping. They have your money and then seem to think that they can then do what ever they want. I wonder if their "shipping times/methods" would change if it became a Cash on Delivery type of system, where the company doesn't get the money until the customer gets the product.

Never had a problem at intermountain. And I've had a couple issues w IM locos. Richard at IM has been outstanding to deal with. Have you guys been in touch with him? Always been spectacular and timely. I have his email if you need it.

Brad

Never had a problem at intermountain. And I've had a couple issues w IM locos. Richard at IM has been outstanding to deal with. Have you guys been in touch with him? Always been spectacular and timely. I have his email if you need it.

Brad

Richard was the one who never called me back. Twice. I remember that specifically because his name was the same as my LHS guy. Maybe he just really likes you.

I never tried calling him, but here's his email: richard.frazier@intermountain-railway.com

I did call IM a year ago or so and was readily handled by a nice woman named Jody who answered the phone.

Brad

I do appreciate it, and thank you. At this point, though, like I said, I think I'm just done. It shouldn't take that much effort to accomplish something so simple, yeah? If Intermountain ever makes anything that I just can't live without I'll re-think things then, and at least go into it with my eyes open.

I do appreciate it, and thank you. At this point, though, like I said, I think I'm just done. It shouldn't take that much effort to accomplish something so simple, yeah? If Intermountain ever makes anything that I just can't live without I'll re-think things then, and at least go into it with my eyes open.

I understand. I had a similar experience with MTH a couple years back. Since then I've winced when i think of someone buying their products. Would require a really great loco (their new ES44AC, maybe...?) to get me to think about buying from them again...

I understand. I had a similar experience with MTH a couple years back. Since then I've winced when i think of someone buying their products. Would require a really great loco (their new ES44AC, maybe...?) to get me to think about buying from them again...

If you're using DCC (or even DC), make sure you get the DCC ready type, and put in your own decoder, don't believe their claim of easy DCC operation with their DCS system. According to Terry (bnsf71), they can be "reflashed" to behave with DCC, but that requires an MTH service centre.

Mike, you may have been better off contacting MB Klein's. They may have more "clout" as a dealer. I got 1 of IM's ES44AC's and it had a bent windshield wiper. They got 2 and sent them free of charge to Aus pretty quickly (with a note wishing me luck installing it/them. How right they were)

i sent my CN sd40-2w (expo) back because after 6 monts the dc board (i was running it on DC) and i called them they paid for the shiping and 3 monts later
(i actually dont know how long because my parents kept it from me for awhile) it was at my house in near perfect condition (a few hand rails were broken, i just glued them back together) it ran perfectly. so sometimes it takes along time to get parts.

Mike, you may have been better off contacting MB Klein's. They may have more "clout" as a dealer. I got 1 of IM's ES44AC's and it had a bent windshield wiper. They got 2 and sent them free of charge to Aus pretty quickly (with a note wishing me luck installing it/them. How right they were)

I agree with toot'n, MB Klien are great to work with and a manufacturer will (or should) be reluctant to mess around one of their distributors.

I agree with toot'n, MB Klien are great to work with and a manufacturer will (or should) be reluctant to mess around one of their distributors.

Yes, and I will in the future, if I ever buy any Intermountain again. My original thought was to have the manufacturer deal with the defect and not make MB Klein have to since obviously it wasn't their fault or issue. MB Klein have been very good and therefore when I can I like to spare them the hassle & cost of fixing a manufacturer's issue, y'know? Lesson learned on this one and expecting Intermountain to fix it.

Just for the record, it's now actually been 9 days since I last emailed Intermountain and STILL haven't gotten a reply. So not only am I not getting parts, I'm also being completely ignored. And of course it's now getting closer to THREE months without those replacement parts. You guys that are fine with it taking that long? I wish I had your patience. I just think it's absolutely beyond ridiculous and a horrible way to run a company for anything to take that long, and honestly I have zero faith whatsoever that I'll ever get those parts and that they are just fine sticking me with defective products. I believe I said before that they'd have to make something I just couldn't live without before I'd buy their stuff? With this new "ignoring me" thing they have going on, I think I'll just RIP before I ever give them another penny.

I know I said I'd shut up about it, and now I will. There's really nothing else they could do to be any worse so I won't have anything else to complain about after this.

Sounds like the 'MTH Treatment' that I got. It was nearly 9 months before I finally got squared away with parts from them, got someone to answer me, and got them shipped to me.

Don't know what to tell you. Keep trying, pull your hair out, or otherwise. Sorry, stinks.

Brad

Where are Intermountain's parts coming from? If all their equipment is being imported from China, and the next shipment of parts and cars and whatever won't arrive until five of six months from now...then you'll have to wait until they get them. If they are making the parts in the U.S., then you'll have to wait until the next run of the car or parts, whenever that is.

I think the answer to your dilemma is in where the parts come from. Not answering your email requests is inexcusable, however. They should be able to answer your email fairly prompt and give some idea of what is going on.

Photoman475

Where are Intermountain's parts coming from? If all their equipment is being imported from China, and the next shipment of parts and cars and whatever won't arrive until five of six months from now...then you'll have to wait until they get them. If they are making the parts in the U.S., then you'll have to wait until the next run of the car or parts, whenever that is.

I think the answer to your dilemma is in where the parts come from. Not answering your email requests is inexcusable, however. They should be able to answer your email fairly prompt and give some idea of what is going on.

Photoman475

They have parts in stock. Especially trucks, which is what were damaged. They're just a horrible company when it comes to customer service.

Back