walthers engine facility

NYSW F45

im thinking about picking up the diesel facility or maybe the roundhouse to make a small diorama. how good are these kits? is there alot of fiddling around to make things work?

If you're talking about the newer Walthers three stall shop it's a great kit.
The most fiddling is the pillars that the track lays on in the pits.
I loved the way the windows fit in, the corners of the building tended to pop apart during assembly. I added the overhead crane inside and will soon have lighting.
Overall very pleased with it. It sits on my layout in the same space an older Bachman two stall shop sat.

wow, so the shops do come with work pits. did it also come with the platforms? i think im definitely getting this now. and I like the overhead crane idea too, doe the kit allow the use of it inside? do you have to modify anything?

The Walthers crane fits right in with no mods. I used strip styrene for the bridge work and saved the girders for outside.
Yes it comes with the pits molded in the base, the platform sitis on seventeen thousand fivehundred and sixty eight pillar beams. (well, a bunch anyway) Ebay has them from time to time, a few LHS's have them here.
If you look closely at the corner of the building you can see where it is coming apart, that's the only problem i had with it... slowly getting it done.
Rico

Last edited by a moderator:
was at a local hobby shop today picking up some detail parts for my observation car project and checked out the diesel facility. I must say looking at pictures here and on walthers site, the kit is very deceiving in size. I coudln't believe how big the box was. BUt I will definitely be getting it. The fiancee seems to be getting into it too. She was going to get a wood structure kit and assemble it. But instead she bought an athearn box car and i floquil weathering paint markers. SHE wants to learn how to weather!!!!! how awesome is that.

Dang it, if you don't marry that girl right away... I will!

October can't come any sooner. I figure get her into it, have her like it. This way it wont be a problem if i buy anything new after marriage. Figure it's ALOT cheaper then my photo gear (insurance value $6500)

i was able to find last october's MR and liked the article they did. The building isn't as big as i thought. The box just makes it look that big.

Back